Former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, who had stepped down in the wake of the Adarsh scam, today filed nomination papers from Nanded Lok Sabha constituency.
Brushing aside controversies surrounding him over Adarsh housing scam, Congress yesterday decided to field the senior state party leader for the Lok Sabha polls.
“We are 100 per cent sure that we will win,” Chavan said after filing the nomination here.
Asked if his conscience was clear on the Adarsh issue, Chavan said, “Yes. I am absolutely clear. I have done no wrong.”
When questioned if his party has made a mistake (in fielding him) given the fact that Rahul Gandhi has made anti-corruption his poll plank, Chavan said, “Where is the corruption in this (Adarsh) issue. Let us not talk about issues which are irrelevant.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“I think the issues on which the opposition is harping on…they have no moral authority to talk on these issues. What about Yeddyurappa? Can BJP clarify its stance on Yeddyurappa and the Reddy brothers involved in the mining issue?” he asked.
When pointed out that he was charge sheeted in the Adarsh scam, Chavan said, “Yes, but I have not been convicted. Also, I am not disqualified to contest the election. You see, there are rules, there is a legal provision. So nothing bars me from contesting any election. So the legal position is very clear.
Asked how his case was different from Suresh Kalmadi’s, Chavan said, “I don’t want to comment on his case. The party has taken the decision and I will go by the party’s decision.”
Replying to a question whether his being fielded weakens the Congress’ stand against corruption as it was Sonia Gandhi who had asked him to step down as CM in the wake of the Adarsh scam, Chavan said, “Where is the corruption? Let us not bring Sonia Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi into this issue. How are they concerned here?”
On the other hand, at the launch of the Congress party’s election manifesto in New Delhi on Wednesday, when Congress President, Sonia Gandhi was asked why the Chavan is selected to file his nomination for a Lok Sabha seat, she said “as far as I know, I find nothing against him”.