- The Big Picture: What’s AAP
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Bus from Burari laden with volunteers and hope
- Rare day out for AAP families
- Riot of support for AAP in communal hot spots
- Hunt on for CM house, will not accept Z-plus security
- No word from high command, Delhi Congress in a paralysis
- Latest News
- Second time at Ramlila Maidan: Hope overrides their doubts
- Kejriwal has no portfolio, will keep an eye on others
- In sea of white caps, BJP troika plans to be ‘forceful opposition’
- MP, MLA see Punjab as the next AAP stop
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Arvind Kejriwal repeats his advice to sting the corrupt, asks police to act against ‘goondagardi’
- Proud that one of our volunteers has become Delhi CM: Anna Hazare
- Arvind Kejriwal not to keep any portfolio
- Now an Aam Aadmi Party Cola by beverage-maker inspired by Arvind Kejriwal’s party
- New chief minister Arvind Kejriwal holds meetings at Delhi Secretariat
- Cong’s Ajay Maken blames Sheila Dikshit for Delhi polls debacle
- Left, right, AAP
Arvind Kejriwal’s ‘paid media’ remark: Reactions fly thick and fast; here’s what they said
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal yet again kicked off controversy by alleging that the media is ‘sold’ and ‘heavy amounts’ have been paid to promote BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
But he later denied having made the accusations against the media after his remarks came under attack from Congress, BJP and CPI. The AAP leader came under fire for his controversial remarks.
Here’s who said what on the ‘paid media’ remarks:
Arvind Kejriwal, AAP leader: “Since the last one year, we have been told that Modi is here, Modi is there. Since one year, Modi has also been saying that. Even some TV channels have been saying that ‘Ram Rajya’ has come and corruption has vanished….
“Why did they do it? Because money has been paid to TV channels. Heavy amounts have been paid to promote Modi,” Kejriwal alleged in a video aired by a TV channel.
Omar Abdullah, J&K Chief Minister: “I really don’t get AAP & Arvind Kejriwal’s criticism of the media. But for the blanket coverage he has received AAP wouldn’t exist today.”
I really don’t get AAP & Arvind Kejriwal’s criticism of the media. But for the blanket coverage he has received AAP wouldn’t exist today.
— Omar Abdullah (@abdullah_omar) March 14, 2014
Shivraj Singh Chouhan, MP Chief Minister: “Independent press and media is the cornerstone of Indian democracy. Unfounded allegations and threats can seriously hamper freedom.”
Broadcast Editors’ Association: “BEA condemns Arvind Kejriwal’s irresponsible statement on media. BEA believes that electronic media is discharging its responsibility in a fair and objective manner.”
“BEA believes that such attempts are a conspiracy to dilute the credibility of media.”
Editors Guild of India: “The Guild condemns in the strongest terms the repeated attacks on the media by the Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal, that violate the norms of decent democratic debate.”
“One hopes the intolerance that is reflected in Arvind Kejriwal’s recent attacks on the media does not represent the new style of politics promised by the Aam Aadmi Party and its leaders.”
Arun Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha: “Arvind Kejriwal started as a populist. He has evolved into a demagogue. He can make allegations against anyone and everyone without any supporting evidence. He has little concern for the truth. He believes in repeating the falsehood several times. He convinces himself that facts manufactured by him are true. He looks at the mood of the mob before presenting his case. Such persons can be extremely dangerous for democratic institutions.”
Ashutosh, AAP leader: “Broadcast Editors Association should investigate Paid TV and should come out with truth instead of condemning Kejariwal’s statement.”
“May I request my ex colleagues in BEA to stand up and save freedom of press and media and democracy from being crushed.”
May I request my ex colleagues in BEA to stand up …continued »