To reach out to maximum possible people before the Delhi polls,AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday launched ‘Jhadu Chalao Yatra’,which came under Election Commission scanner as observers found violation of model code of conduct during the rally.
Kejriwal started the 22-day yatra (roadshow) at around 11 AM from Old Chandrawal on Magazine Road in Civil Lines area near Delhi Vidhan Sabha premises.
However,soon after the roadshow started,the procession was halted at Chandni Chowk of Old Delhi by Election Commission observers,who objected to the use of more vehicles than the permissible limit.
Under model code of conduct norms,only 10 vehicles are allowed in a rally.
Kejriwal asked his supporter to follow the EC’s instruction and the four-hour long roadshow passed through Vidhan Sabha,Tees Hazari,Barfkhana,Chandi Chowk,Red Fort,Jama Masjid and Matia Mahal localities.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
As the permission to conduct the roadshow was till 3 PM,Kejriwal could not go to Ballimaran area and it culminated at Turkman Gate.
During the yatra,Kejriwal interacted with the locals and sought their support in the December 4 Delhi polls,an AAP leader said.
“While the carcade was passing through Vidhan Sabha area,people residing in adjacent houses,waved back to Kejriwal with broom,his party’s election symbol,as a mark of support,” he added.
When asked about violating the model code of conduct,the AAP leader said,we have followed the EC’s instruction and asked our supporters,to maintain a distance of 200 metres with the last car in the 10 car-long carcade. During the roadshow,Kejriwal plans to visit all the 70 constituencies and directly interact with the people,listen to their problems and discuss solutions.
Kejriwal aims to cover a maximum of four assembly constituencies and minimum of two on a given day,he said.
The yatra would culminate on December 1,three days ahead of elections wherein the AAP leader would be visiting New Delhi,R K Puram,Rajinder Nagar and Delhi Cantonment assembly constituencies.
Ashima Jain,District Election Officer (Central) said,”We have got the videography done of the entire rally. We will go through the video footage before taking any action.”
Jain added that a report in this matter will be filed in two days.