AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal on Friday explained to his supporters the circumstances behind him being in jail even as his party launched a mass contact programme over the issue to strengthen its support base with an eye on Assembly elections in Delhi.
“I took on former BJP President Nitin Gadkari and exposed him, but he is roaming scot-free and I have been put in jail. They asked me to take bail, but what crime have I committed to take bail?” Kejriwal said in a letter, which was signed “Prisoner No.3642, Jail No.4 Tihar.”
The letter was read out by senior party leader Manish Sisodia at a volunteers’ meet which was called to spell out the party’s strategy after Kejriwal’s judicial custody was extended till June 6 by a local court.
“There have been several defamation cases against me, but no one has ever asked me to seek bail because I am not a criminal. In this case, I thought I will get relief, but instead of giving me bail, the court has sent me to jail. Now that I am in Tihar Jail, the question comes to my mind as to how a common man will fight corruption,” the letter states.
Kejriwal added that in the fight against corruption, he has braved hunger, police’s batons and insult and, now, Tihar (prison).
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Now you are my only strength. Please pray for me,” he said in the letter.
The party has decided to hold ‘sankalp sabhas’ to explain Kejriwal’s stand to the people and distribute his letter across the city.
“We have to send this letter to every household because the media is presenting the facts in a wrong manner. Volunteers across the 70 Assembly segments should gather and spread this message through ‘sankalp sabhas’ in every ward. We will not stay quiet till our leader is out of jail,” said AAP leader Gopal Rai.
The meetings will also kick-start AAP’s “person-to-person” campaign for the Delhi Assembly elections.
“From tomorrow, we will start the work of party organisation at the booth level and then ward level. Every Assembly seat will have an observer who will act as a facilitator between the party and volunteers,” said AAP’s Delhi unit secretary and spokesperson, Dilip Pandey.