Former Chief Minister and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal today accepted the suggestion of the Delhi High Court to furnish a personal bond for getting bail in a criminal defamation case filed against him by BJP leader Nitin Gadkari.
Senior advocate Shanti Bhushan and advocate Prashant Bhushan, who met Kejriwal in Tihar Jail in the afternoon to discuss the court’s suggestion, told a bench of justices Kailash Gambhir and Sunita Gupta that he has agreed to the proposal and has signed a bond of Rs 10,000.
The bench asked Kejriwal’s lawyers to present the bond to the magistrate concerned or duty magistrate today itself, adding that furnishing of the same would be subject to final outcome of the legal issues raised by him.
Earlier today, the Court told Prashant and Shanti Bhushan to advise Kejriwal to submit a personal bond in the case. The AAP leader was sent to judicial custody after his refusal to furnish a bail bond.
The bench of Justice Kailash Gambhir and Justice Sunita Gupta said it will look into the legal challenge to the demand for bail bond later. “Why do you want him to stay in jail? Submit the personal bond and seek his release. We will look at the legal issues,” said the HC bench.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The court gave special permission to Bhushans to meet Kejriwal outside the Tihar jail. Advocate Pinki Anand appearing for Nitin Gadkari said the AAP wants special laws for themselves. “Kejriwal should not be allowed to issue statements to the media from jail. No procedure is being followed,” added Anand.
On May 21, the court had granted bail to Kejriwal in the defamation complaint, saying the offence under Section 500 of IPC was bailable and had asked him to furnish a personal bond.
He, however, was taken into custody after he refused to give the bail bond, saying the case was politically motivated and he does not wish to seek bail. He had said that he was ready to give an undertaking that he would appear in the court whenever required. (With PTI inputs)