Demanding an immediate stop to attempts to appoint a Lokpal, BJP on Sunday said it would be a “gross political impropriety” and “violation” of the model code if the UPA government rushes through the appointment of the anti-corruption watchdog.
BJP leader Arun Jaitley said the procedure is legally “suspect” and such “unholy haste” will destroy the credibility of the Lokpal even before it is formed.
According to sources, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is planning to convene a meeting of the Lokpal Selection Committee on April 27 or 28.
“Half the elections have been completed. 26 days remain for the declaration of the results and the formation of a new government. Is it proper for the UPA, on the eve of its certain departure, to rush through with the appointment of the Lokpal? Certainly not.
“It would be a gross political impropriety and violation of the code of conduct, if the UPA would rush through its appointment at this stage. Such unholy haste will destroy the credibility of the Lokpal even before it is formed. This procedure should be stopped immediately,” Jaitley said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In a statement on his blog, he asked Singh to introspect over this haste on the eve of “certain departure”, saying the PM has nothing to lose except some “residual creditability”.
“He must seriously introspect if this unholy haste in pushing a Lokpal on the eve of certain departure is implemented, he will only be remembered as Prime Minister who subverted institutions at the behest of his party leadership.
The entire democratic system of India is strong enough not to permit him to succeed,” he said.