A high-powered panel of Congress led by party veteran A K Antony on Sunday took stock of factors leading to its crushing defeat in the Lok Sabha elections in Jharkhand, Odisha and Chhattisgarh.
While Congress is participating in an alliance government in Jharkhand headed by JMM leader Hemant Soren, it is in the opposition in other two states for more than a decade.
In the meeting, the Antony panel asked each participant the reasons for the party’s poor show and elicited views as to how it can stage a comeback.
All the Lok Sabha candidates, PCC chiefs and senior leaders of the three states took part in the exercise.
B K Hari Prasad, the party’s general secretary in-charge of these states, said it was a stock-taking exercise. “We have discussed in detail as to what went wrong and how to revive the party,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The party was expecting to stage a comeback in Chhattisgarh after the Maoist attack last year which had wiped off its top state leadership. However, it performed badly in both Assembly election last year and Lok Sabha polls this year.
In Odisha, where Navin Patnaik is heading the BJD government, there is no end to the marginalisation of the party.
Starting a soul-searching exercise following its worst-ever Lok Sabha poll result, the panel had met Congress leaders from Delhi to identify the reasons behind its rout in the seven Lok Sabha seats in the national capital.
The informal group set up by Congress President Sonia Gandhi also has AICC General Secretary Mukul Wasnik and secretaries R C Khuntia and Avinash Pandey as its members.