Anti-nuclear activist S P Udayakumar with his around 500 supporters today joined Aam Aadmi Party in Tamil Nadu ahead of Lok Sabha polls. “We have formally joined the AAP today,” ‘People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy’ convener Udayakumar here said.
The PMANE spearheads the more than two-year old protest against the Kundakulam Nuclear Power Plant in district
Tirunelveli. An announcement on the names of candidates contesting the polls from southern districts would be made public soon by AAP’s top leadership, he told PTI.
Asked if he would continue to be associated with PMANE, Udayakumar, against whom several cases had been registered in connection with the anti-KNPP protests, said “Of course yes..I continue to be an anti-nuclear activist. “Besides Udayakumar, M P Jesurajan and Peter Milton were among the other prominent anti-nuclear activists who joined the party.
However, Pushparayan and Mugilan, two other PMANE leaders, did not join the party. “They do not believe in party politics, they have right to their opinion and we did not force them either,” Udayakumar said.
AAP leader Prashant Bhushan had met Udayakumar recently, triggering reports about the party roping in the activist.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016