Joining the group of sitting Congress MLAs who have recently resigned from the assembly to join BJP, on Thursday, Congress MLA from Himmatnagar Rajendrasinh Chavda tendered his resignation to assembly speaker, Vaju Vala. Confirming his resignation, Chavda said that he did so to join BJP and to strengthen ‘the hands of Gujarat CM Narendra Modi’.
Speaking with The Indian Express, Chavda said, “I want to see Narendra Modiji as the Prime Minister of India. And to strengthen his hands, I have resigned from the assembly Thursday morning. I have personally handed over my resignation to the assembly speaker.”
Notably, the assembly has started its Budget Session, on Thursday.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Chavda’s resignation has brought down the total number of Congress MLAs in the assembly to 55. Before him, Lathi MLA Bavku Unghad, and Somnath MLA Jasa Barad have resigned from the assembly and joined BJP.
Before Unghad and Barad, Vitthal Radadiya from Dhoraji and Jayesh Radadiya from Jetpur had resigned from the assembly as Congress MLAs and joined BJP. With this, Chavda has become the fifth Congress MLA who has resigned from the 13th assembly to join BJP.
In the December 2012 assembly elections, Chavda had defeated the then State Home Minister of Gujarat, Praful Patel, by a comfortable margin.