- Is BJP losing the plot in Delhi?
- Kiran Bedi win: RSS says it’s kabaddi, hold breath
- Veteran’s work vs son-in-law’s youth
- Dense and dingy, yet women feel ‘safer’ in colony than outside
- ‘Always a third front man, so I joined Congress’
- AAP to send star campaigners to Sadar Bazaar, Krishna Nagar
- Senior BJP leader trying to put AAP in negative light: Arvind Kejriwal
Anna Hazare to support Medha Patkar, Raju Shetty
Social activist Anna Hazare, who had announced his support to Mamata Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress a few months ago only to revoke it later, has now extended his support to AAP contestant from Mumbai North East Medha Patkar and Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana contestants Raju Shetty and Sadabhau Khot.
Shetty and Khot are contesting from Hatkanangale and Madha constituencies respectively and their party is a part of Shiv Sena-BJP alliance in Maharashtra.
Hazare’s aides said the decision to support the three candidate was taken by the activist “on his own” and none of the three candidates had approached him for support. “All three are part of the social movement and hence Annaji thinks they will be able to do some good for society if elected,” an aide said. The aide, however, said Hazare had no plan to campaign for the candidates.
In a press note Friday evening, Hazare said he had taken the decision to support the three as they had a good background. “Though I feel that social activists should go into Parliament as representatives of the people rather than that of a political party, I am also sure that due to their experience in the social field their parties will benefit from their candidature…. I am sure that these three candidates will get support from the voters in their respective constituencies,” he said.