In a major embarrassment to the UPA government, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Monday spoke against its decision to divide Andhra Pradesh and create Telangana, saying, the state should not be divided when its people do not want it.
“I think it (the issue of Telangana) has gone out of gear, terribly out of gear. You have seen 70-80 per cent of people do no want division, yet a division is taking place….The people of the state do not want division. We should not divide,” he told reporters as the Parliament was adjourned today once again over the issue.
When told that the Cabinet, of which he is a member, had approved the division of the state, the Minister of New and Renewable Energy said he did not attend that meeting as he was away in Jammu for an event.
Abdullah said the demand for the separate state has been there since the time Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister but it was “handled and kept under cover”.
MPs supporting the creation of a separate Telangana state and those against it have been creating uproar in the Parliament and stalling proceedings. The government has cleared the bill for the creation of Telangana.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
As soon as the Lok Sabha proceedings began, supporters and opponents of separate Telangana rushed to the Well raising slogans.
In the Rajya Sabha, there was ruckus over Telangana and other issues with slogan-shouting TDP, DMK and AIADMK members trooping to the Well leading to two adjournments, including one as soon as the House proceedings began.