In a major embarrassment to the UPA government, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Monday spoke against its decision to divide Andhra Pradesh and create Telangana, saying, the state should not be divided when its people do not want it.
“I think it (the issue of Telangana) has gone out of gear, terribly out of gear. You have seen 70-80 per cent of people do no want division, yet a division is taking place….The people of the state do not want division. We should not divide,” he told reporters as the Parliament was adjourned today once again over the issue.
When told that the Cabinet, of which he is a member, had approved the division of the state, the Minister of New and Renewable Energy said he did not attend that meeting as he was away in Jammu for an event.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Abdullah said the demand for the separate state has been there since the time Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister but it was “handled and kept under cover”.
MPs supporting the creation of a separate Telangana state and those against it have been creating uproar in the Parliament and stalling proceedings. The government has cleared the bill for the creation of Telangana.
As soon as the Lok Sabha proceedings began, supporters and opponents of separate Telangana rushed to the Well raising slogans.
In the Rajya Sabha, there was ruckus over Telangana and other issues with slogan-shouting TDP, DMK and AIADMK members trooping to the Well leading to two adjournments, including one as soon as the House proceedings began.