Senior Congress leader Anand Sharma on Wednesday expressed his willingness to take on BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in Lok Sabha election for Varanasi seat.
“Definitely. I will pack my bag and leave tomorrow for Varanasi if so desired by the (Congress) party”, he said when asked if he would consider fighting Modi in coming general elections.
Sharma’s remarks came amid media speculation that a known Modi-baiter Digvijay Singh, the AICC general secretary, may be chosen to take on Modi in Varanasi. Singh had been in-charge of party affairs for UP for a long time.
However, senior Congress leaders concerned with nomination finalisation process feigned ignorance when asked about the possibility of Singh’s candidature from the seat.
Sharma, Commerce and Industries Minister and a Rajya Sabha member from Rajasthan, belongs to Himachal Pradesh and is a Brahmin leader. There is a view in a section of the party that after the exit of sitting BJP MP Murli Manohar Joshi from the electoral battle in the holy city, it will be advantageous for Congress to field a Brahmin candidate.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Joshi himself was keen to contest from Varanasi but BJP leadership persuaded him to vacate the seat in favour of Modi.
Joshi will now be fighting elections from Kanpur.
On putting up a joint front against Modi in Varanasi, Sharma said “we are very clear about it. Congress party is not going to vacate that political space of fighting the elections on its own symbol, its own candidate and own flag. It’s a clash of ideologies.
“Wherever he (Modi) will contest, Congress will fight against him…I am a disciplined soldier of Congress and I will be more than happy to take on somebody like Narendra Modi. It is for the leader (to decide).”
Congress leadership is already considering the names of three candidates for Varanasi. “Congress will field a strong candidate and we will fight with full strength,” Sharma earlier said addressing a press briefing at AICC.