Congress candidate Captain Amarinder Singh reached Amritsar to a rousing reception on Friday by party leaders and enthusiastic party workers who turned up in huge numbers to greet the former CM.
Amarinder, a reluctant entrant in the poll battle, is locked in what looks like a clash of titans with BJP candidate Arun Jaitley contesting his first Lok Sabha elections. Jaitley has replaced former cricketer and three-time party MP Navjot Singh Sidhu.
Flowers were showered and enthusiastic workers danced to the beat of drums and music as it took Amarinder — standing atop a vehicle flanked by Congress leaders representing Majha, Doaba and Malwa regions — nearly three hours to cover a distance of about 6 km from Amritsar-Jalandhar road to the Golden Temple.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
On display during the road show was the unity of Congress leaders, missing in the recent past. Known rivals — Congress vice-president O P Soni and his bête noire Sukh Sarkaria, another Congress heavyweight — were seen together alongside Amarinder.
Leader of Opposition in Vidhan Sabha Sunil Jakhar, who is contesting from Ferozepur, accompanied Amarinder. With several leaders jostling for space, Jakhar was seen struggling to get on to the vehicle bedecked with party flags and flowers after Amarinder boarded it.
Buoyed by the enthusiasm of the workers, Amarinder caught the garlands thrown at him. And amid all this, Amarinder remained fully attentive as he responded to greetings from former minister Surinder Singla, who was on the road, but was to come on board when asked.
Amarinder was welcomed at different points on the way to the Golden Temple. Talking to reporters after paying obeisance, Amarinder Singh said Jaitley was “no challenge” to him.