Congress candidate Captain Amarinder Singh reached Amritsar to a rousing reception on Friday by party leaders and enthusiastic party workers who turned up in huge numbers to greet the former CM.
Amarinder, a reluctant entrant in the poll battle, is locked in what looks like a clash of titans with BJP candidate Arun Jaitley contesting his first Lok Sabha elections. Jaitley has replaced former cricketer and three-time party MP Navjot Singh Sidhu.
Flowers were showered and enthusiastic workers danced to the beat of drums and music as it took Amarinder — standing atop a vehicle flanked by Congress leaders representing Majha, Doaba and Malwa regions — nearly three hours to cover a distance of about 6 km from Amritsar-Jalandhar road to the Golden Temple.
On display during the road show was the unity of Congress leaders, missing in the recent past. Known rivals — Congress vice-president O P Soni and his bête noire Sukh Sarkaria, another Congress heavyweight — were seen together alongside Amarinder.
Leader of Opposition in Vidhan Sabha Sunil Jakhar, who is contesting from Ferozepur, accompanied Amarinder. With several leaders jostling for space, Jakhar was seen struggling to get on to the vehicle bedecked with party flags and flowers after Amarinder boarded it.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Buoyed by the enthusiasm of the workers, Amarinder caught the garlands thrown at him. And amid all this, Amarinder remained fully attentive as he responded to greetings from former minister Surinder Singla, who was on the road, but was to come on board when asked.
Amarinder was welcomed at different points on the way to the Golden Temple. Talking to reporters after paying obeisance, Amarinder Singh said Jaitley was “no challenge” to him.