The Congress surrendered one of two Punjab seats to the Shiromani Akali Dal — the former had held both when they fell vacant — but each bypoll result gave Amarinder Singh a personal victory against PCC chief Partap Singh Bajwa. This followed the Lok Sabha results; after Bajwa had ensured Amarinder was fielded from Amritsar, he saw the latter win while he lost his own contest in Gurdaspur.
In the bypolls, Bajwa concentrated all his efforts in Talwandi Sabo, camping there for a month for candidate Harminder Singh Jassi. Jassi lost by over 46,000 votes. In Patiala, Amarinder’s wife Perneet Kaur won by 23,000 votes.
Perneet had lost to the Aam Aadmi Party’s Dr Dharamvir Gandhi in the Lok Sabha elections. The AAP, whose four Lok Sabha seats are all in Punjab, was seen as a strong contender but finished third in both bypolls and lost its deposit in Patiala. In Talwandi Sabo, its vote count fell from 15,000-plus to 13,899, despite a higher turnout.
The SAD had fielded new recruit Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu, formerly a Congressman and a close aide of Bajwa. Jeet Mohinder Singh’s margin was more than four times as high as Bathinda MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal’s lead of 11,000 from this segment. “I was expecting a lead of more than 11,000 votes, but not such a huge one,” he said.
Having lost, the Bajwa camp blames the defeat to rigging and diversion of party resources to Patiala. They accuse Amarinder of assigning at least 40 Congress MLAs to Patiala. Amarinder’s team argues nobody stopped Bajwa from assigning MLAs to Talwandi Sabo.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016