Arun Jaitley is contesting his first election. A day ahead of shifting to a new house, he expresses confidence in this interview in his temporary office-cum-residence:
On the difference between managing elections and contesting one:
It’s always a greater challenge. In managing elections, you look at the big picture; here you are constituency-specific. And, this is certainly physically more exerting. There is an element of more planning, meetings and rallies when you are managing elections. But when you are contesting, you can’t ignore even the micro, like how a panchayat votes, what are the local issues in each area. You have to be careful about every situation.
On the war of words with Capt Amarinder Singh:
I had thought that Capt Sahib with his legacy and background would have something substantial to offer to this campaign. But I find that he finds it difficult to address national issues or constituency-specific ideas. He can only indulge in mindless aggression, rooted in impolite language. That has never been my style. In effect he is a tu-tu, main-main candidate which is in contrast to my style. I am therefore keeping away from that lumpen debate. I am concentrating on national issues, what the NDA government will do for the country and what my vision for my constituency is.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
On whether anti-incumbency against the SAD-BJP government will harm his chances:
There are some minor issues. But, when I talk to people, I see huge support to make Narendra Modi prime minister. Now that it seems certain that a non-Congress government will come to power, the people of Amritsar would want a powerful voice in Delhi and I probably qualify for that.
On Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal’s announcement that Jaitley would be deputy prime minister:
I know that it is Mr Badal’s affection for me that makes him wish such a post for me.
Is Navjot Sidhu’s absence hurting you:
No. The party decided on my name only after Navjot clearly indicated that he didn’t wish to contest. He is a dear friend and I know he feels the same way about me and wants me to win.