Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram Sunday welcomed the support extended by Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari to Congress and claimed the party had the backing of all Muslim bodies.
“I welcome the support extended to our party by the Delhi Imam. Not only he, but all Muslims bodies are extending support to Congress,” he told reporters at the airport here.
Bukhari, considered an influential religious leader, had last week appealed to Muslims to support Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Chidambaram also said he would campaign for all Congress candidates contesting the April 24 Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu.
The minister has so far been focussing on electioneering in Sivaganga constituency, held by him and now allocated to his son Karti.
Continuing his attack on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for not “criticising Modi or the BJP,” he said his accusation that the AIADMK was BJP’s “B Team,” was getting “proved.”