Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram Sunday welcomed the support extended by Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari to Congress and claimed the party had the backing of all Muslim bodies.
“I welcome the support extended to our party by the Delhi Imam. Not only he, but all Muslims bodies are extending support to Congress,” he told reporters at the airport here.
Bukhari, considered an influential religious leader, had last week appealed to Muslims to support Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided.
Chidambaram also said he would campaign for all Congress candidates contesting the April 24 Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu.
The minister has so far been focussing on electioneering in Sivaganga constituency, held by him and now allocated to his son Karti.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Continuing his attack on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for not “criticising Modi or the BJP,” he said his accusation that the AIADMK was BJP’s “B Team,” was getting “proved.”