Facing the ire of the leadership for allegedly instigating supporters to indulge in anti-party activities, suspended DMK leader M K Alagiri demanded Thursday revocation of suspension of his 10 aides for a compromise.
Alagiri told reporters in Madurai after celebrating his 63rd birthday that he was unaware of any patch-up efforts by the DMK high command. To prepare ground for a compromise, he said, the party should bring back his 10 suspended supporters.
Angry at the suspensions, the south zone organising secretary of the party had hit out at his father and DMK president M Karunanidhi and was suspended last Friday.
Asked about the precondition for a compromise, Karunanidhi said: “If our party cadre foist false cases under PCR Act against district secretaries and executive committee members, we cannot be a mute spectator.”
Alagiri, who has been unable to check the flow of cadre from his camp to that headed by his immediate rival and younger brother M K Stalin, received a boost, meanwhile, when three MPs called on him at his residence in Madurai Thursday. Former minister of state D Napoleon, another Lok Sabha member J K Ritheesh and Rajya Sabha member K P Ramalingam offered support.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
While Alagiri was careful not to precipitate the situation by further criticising Stalin or the DMK leadership — he had earlier said he would reveal details of an alleged fraud in internal elections on this day — his son Dhayanidhi Alagiri counselled the party to consider its self-respect and history before deciding to align with the DMDK (as planned by Stalin).
Still smarting from the surprise suspension of their leader, Alagiri’s remaining loyalists organised a grand function in Madurai to mark his birthday. The city was decked up with posters and banners hailing him and music troupes played at several crowded junctions. A lot of people participated in the celebrations, though most party leaders stayed away.