Union Minister Smriti Irani on Saturday termed as “outrageous” Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s remarks on the Badaun gangrape case and said the whole nation shared her anguish.
On Friday, when a journalist had asked Yadav about the law and order situation in the state against the backdrop of the Badaun case, he had shot back, saying, “I hope you have not faced any danger!.”
When the journalist replied in the negative, the Chief Minister said, “Thank you. You should propagate this.” On Yadav’s comment, Irani said, “The entire nation shares my outrage when on a very sensitive issue like crime against women… when a reporter was asking for reaction from the CM, one got such an outrageous remark.” “There is a constitutional mandate and a responsibility that people in public office have… is that of protecting women and children and those who come from weaker sections of society,” she said.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Irani said Yadav had “let down” not only the people of UP, but all youngsters. “There was a presumption that the CM, who was touted as the youngest CM of UP, would live up to that responsibility. “It is unfortunate that he has let down not only the people of UP, but all those youngsters who felt that possibly he would redefine youth and governance one day,” Irani said.
Two teenage cousins aged 14 and 15 were gangraped and murdered in Badaun on May 28, while a fresh incident of gangrape was reported in Azamgarh constituency of SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav a day later.