Union Minister Smriti Irani on Saturday termed as “outrageous” Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s remarks on the Badaun gangrape case and said the whole nation shared her anguish.
On Friday, when a journalist had asked Yadav about the law and order situation in the state against the backdrop of the Badaun case, he had shot back, saying, “I hope you have not faced any danger!.”
When the journalist replied in the negative, the Chief Minister said, “Thank you. You should propagate this.” On Yadav’s comment, Irani said, “The entire nation shares my outrage when on a very sensitive issue like crime against women… when a reporter was asking for reaction from the CM, one got such an outrageous remark.” “There is a constitutional mandate and a responsibility that people in public office have… is that of protecting women and children and those who come from weaker sections of society,” she said.
Irani said Yadav had “let down” not only the people of UP, but all youngsters. “There was a presumption that the CM, who was touted as the youngest CM of UP, would live up to that responsibility. “It is unfortunate that he has let down not only the people of UP, but all those youngsters who felt that possibly he would redefine youth and governance one day,” Irani said.
Two teenage cousins aged 14 and 15 were gangraped and murdered in Badaun on May 28, while a fresh incident of gangrape was reported in Azamgarh constituency of SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav a day later.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More