- Modi gets into the fight: ‘Delhi will decide how world sees India’
- AAP, BJP ignoring govt employees, says Ajay Maken
- Arvind Kejriwal mocks BJP’s 4-point agenda
- Modi gave India self-pride: Uma Bharti
- ‘Where have we promised statehood... it’s a sensitive issue, not a matter for elections’, says Amit Shah
- Aam Aadmi Party violated Model Code: Election Commission
- 50 pc cut in power tariff, free wifi, water among AAP promises
AICC member Thomas quits Congress, to contest as LDF candidate from Pathanamthitta
All India Congress Committee member Philipose Thomas on Friday quit the party to contest as a CPI (M)-backed independent from Pathanamthitta constituency.
Thomas was in the forefront of agitation against green field private airport project at Aranmula in the constituency, which the Congress government took forward. Besides, he was against fielding sitting Congress MP Anto Antony on the ground that he was an “outsider” to the constituency. Thomas said he was quitting from the primary membership of the Congress and abandoning all posts in the party to contest as an LDF candidate.
On Thursday, the CPI (M) state committee had decided to field Thomas, who belongs to Mar Thoma Christian Church, an influential sect in Pathanamthitta district. Thomas, an AICC member since 2005, had three times unsuccessfully contested to the state assembly from the district. The senior leader in the district has been pulling apart from the Congress state leadership in the wake of his stand against the Aranmula airport.
Congress and BJP flayed the LDF move to field a Congress leader as Left candidate, saying it exposed the pauperism of that front.