All India Congress Committee member Philipose Thomas on Friday quit the party to contest as a CPI (M)-backed independent from Pathanamthitta constituency.
Thomas was in the forefront of agitation against green field private airport project at Aranmula in the constituency, which the Congress government took forward. Besides, he was against fielding sitting Congress MP Anto Antony on the ground that he was an “outsider” to the constituency. Thomas said he was quitting from the primary membership of the Congress and abandoning all posts in the party to contest as an LDF candidate.
On Thursday, the CPI (M) state committee had decided to field Thomas, who belongs to Mar Thoma Christian Church, an influential sect in Pathanamthitta district. Thomas, an AICC member since 2005, had three times unsuccessfully contested to the state assembly from the district. The senior leader in the district has been pulling apart from the Congress state leadership in the wake of his stand against the Aranmula airport.
Congress and BJP flayed the LDF move to field a Congress leader as Left candidate, saying it exposed the pauperism of that front.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More