Ahead of Cabinet formation, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who is reportedly not in best of terms with Prime Minister-elect Narendra Modi, on Monday met him at Gujarat Bhawan here.
The meeting took place at Gujarat Bhawan, where Modi has been camping since Sunday, sources said.
The former Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha had discussions with Modi soon after holding parleys with BJP President Rajnath Singh at his residence.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Meanwhile, YSRCP chief Jaganmohan Reddy also met Modi in Delhi.
Earlier in the day, Modi held discussions with his close aide and BJP General Secretary Amit Shah and senior party leader Arun Jaitley even as newly-elected BJP MPs met senior RSS functionaries at the Sangh office here.
Modi held the meeting at the Gujarat Bhawan here in Chanakyapuri with Shah and Jaitley, who is likely to be inducted in the Cabinet despite losing in the Lok Sabha election.
Former UP Chief Minister and senior party leader Kalyan Singh also held discussions with Modi, who is likely to soon meet NDA allies’ leaders, including Uddhav Thackeray and TDP representatives soon, BJP sources said.
A flurry of meetings took place at Rajnath Singh’s Ashok Road residence with former Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Uma Bharti, Gopinath Munde, Yogi Adityanath, Varun Gandhi and several newly-elected MPs calling on the BJP President.
Anupriya Patel of Apna Dal, which is an alliance partner of BJP in Uttar Pradesh, also met Singh. NDA has won 73 out of the 80 seats in UP.
“Our alliance has swept Uttar Pradesh and nobody can ignore the importance of the state. The BJP chief has already said that the interests of the alliance partners would be safeguarded. So, there is no need for us to say anything else,” she said.
Newly-elected BJP MPs, including former Home Secretary R K Singh, Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Delhi MPs Udit Raj, Manoj Tiwari and senior UP leader Vinay Katiyar had meetings with RSS senior functionaries at Sangh’s Delhi headquarters in Keshavpuram.
After meeting RSS leaders, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said, “Tomorrow is Parliamentary Party meeting and all our MPs are coming and meeting the BJP President and the Sangh leaders. People have old ties and that is why they are coming here as well. The discussions are about tomorrow’s meeting only and no other issue.
Javadekar, who also met the BJP chief, told reporters, “Only Modi and Rajnath Singh are holding discussions on that issue (of government formation) and other people are just meeting and greeting each other on the election victory.”
BJP MP from Hamirpur in Himachal Pradesh Anurag Thakur said he had come to thank the RSS for its support. “BJP works independently and will continue to do so,” he said.
NDA’s ally in Bihar and Lok Janshakti Party chief Ramvilas Paswan, along with his wife and son Chirag, also met Rajnath Singh at his residence.
“Neither I or Chirag has discussed anything about government formation or Cabinet portfolio with either Modiji or Rajnath Singh. I think this is BJP’s prerogative to decide who will get what post in the new government,” Paswan said.
NDA ally in Tamil Nadu MDMK chief Vaiko also met Singh.
The meetings come a day after Modi reached out to party elders L K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi as top leaders held parleys on the formation of the new government that will be sworn in this week.