The BJP on Sunday distanced itself from the “Har Har Modi” slogan raised by its supporters in Varanasi and said its official slogan was “Ab ki baar, Modi sarkaar” (It’s time for Modi government).
“It has come to our notice that in a few television channels there are discussions on ‘Har Har Modi’ as if it is a BJP ‘nara’ (slogan),” party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said in a statement.
She said the BJP slogan is “Ab ki baar, Modi sarkaar.”
As Hindu seers and opposition parties objected to ‘Har Har Modi’ slogan, Narendra Modi himself asked his supporters not to use it. “Some enthusiastic supporters have been using the slogan ‘Har Har Modi’. I respect their enthusiasm, but request them not to use this slogan in the future,” Modi tweeted.
Earlier, Shankaracharya of Dwarka Peeth Swaroopanand Saraswati had objected to the slogan and registered a protest with RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat asking him to stop such “vyakti puja” (eulogising of individual). “In his reply, Bhagwat claimed that RSS is always against worship of an individual. He also claimed that such chanting is done out of over enthusiasm by some supporters, and it is not an intentional effort by BJP,” said Swaroopanand.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
However, he was unconvinced by the explanation. “If RSS doesn’t endorse worship of an individual then why it has not done anything to stop such activities?…Why Modi is not opposing it from the very first moment,” he asked. “People say that no one can stop Modi. But, if such activities continue, God will stop him,” said Swaroopanand.
He pointed out an instance of “deification” of Modi in Chhattisgarh.
“Some youth BJP leaders in Chhattisgarh removed a ‘shivling’ from the temple and installed Narendra Modi’s photo. They must refrain from indulging in vyakti puja,” Swaroopanand Saraswati said.
Political parties like Samajwadi Party and Congress have also protested against BJP’s slogan ‘Har Har Modi, Ghar Ghar Modi’, saying it disrespected Lord Shiva.