A day after making controversial comments that Muslims who do not vote for his party are not “true Muslims”, Samajwadi Party leader Abu Asim Azmi on Friday said true Muslims cannot vote for BJP.
“BJP has always been cruel and unjust towards Muslims. Then how can a true Muslim vote for the BJP? When Mulayam Singh was the chief minister, he saved the Babri Masjid from getting demolished,” Azmi said.
“There was a time when the madrasas in UP were termed as dens of the ISI. But after the SP government came in power, they got justice. Now no one dares to relate madrasas to the ISI,” he said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
He said the BJP’s claims of Muslims joining the saffron outfit are untrue.
“When there are public meets by the BJP and its prime ministerial candidate, burqa clad women and men with beard are being made to sit on stage with BJP leaders to give a false impression that Muslims are supporting the saffron party. But these are duplicate Muslims,” Azmi alleged.
Meanwhile, BJP spokesperson Shaina NC said such statements are made only to play vote-bank politics.
“The BJP condemns his statement. He is a regressive human being who has humiliated women in the past and is now humiliating his own party. The voters should give him a
befitting reply…enough of regressive thoughts and votebank politics,” Shaina said.
Congress spokesperson Sanjay Jha alleged that the Samajwadi Party government failed to protect Muslims in UP during the Muzaffarnagar riots.
“The state(UP) government has been caught napping and has been proved ineffectual in stopping the riots. And that by itself is a manifestation that SP has failed to protect
minorities, particularly the Muslims,” Jha said.
While addressing a rally at Khalilabad in UP yesterday, Azmi had raked up a controversy by saying Muslims who do not vote for SP are not “true Muslims” and that their
DNA test should be conducted to see if they are from the RSS.