After the pull out of JD(U)’s Akhatarul Iman to “prevent division of secular votes”, community leaders have been putting pressure on Abu Kaiser, Ghulam Gous and Salim Pervez in Bhagalpur, Madhubani and Saran respectively to withdraw from the race because of their weak positions. JD(U) has fielded Muslim candidates from four seats besides Kishanganj. The party had to field Shahid Ali Khan from Sheohar after former Rajya Sabha member Sabir Ali quit the party.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar accused the Congress of “engaging in such games”. Congress sources said though they were not behind it, they welcomed the development.
In Bhagalpur, some top Muslim religious leaders are believed to be asking Abu Kaisar to withdraw in favour of RJD’s Bulo Mandal, who is banking on over eight lakh Muslim-Yadav and Gangota (MYG) votes. Mandal, an EBC Gangota, is giving a tough fight to sitting BJP MP Shahnawaz Hussain. A “nervous” Hussain, sources said, met some Muslim religious leaders Thursday in an attempt to break the Muslim votes from the MYG block.
Madhubani’s JD(U) candidate Ghulam Gous is lagging behind the leading contenders —sitting BJP MP Hukum Dev Narayan Yadav and RJD’s Abdul Bari Siddiqui. “Gous has not been campaigning in Muslim-dominated areas and is facing pressure from the Siddiqui camp as well as religious leaders to pull out,” said a local source. Salim Pervex in Saran is pitted against RJD’s Rabri Devi and BJP’s Rajiv Pratap Rudy and is also reportedly under pressure to withdraw to prevent “division of secular votes”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016