Even as BJP central election committee (CEC) meet begins Thursday to thrash out a formula for seats to be contested by some top leaders including Narendra Modi, Lok Sabha MP from Bhopal Kailash Joshi has invited L K Advani to contest from Bhopal.
“I informed him I do not want to contest elections. And I requested him to contest from Bhopal,” he said over phone. Advani, however, did not indicate his mind about the suggestion. Advani had declared his desire to contest from Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
In UP, sources said BJP was veering round to the view that Murli Manohar Joshi should contest from Kanpur, and vacate Varanasi for Modi.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
On Thursday, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj is likely to be named Vidisha candidate, senior party leaders said. They said they have been sounded about Modi’s candidature from Varanasi. A party source said Modi may contest from a single Lok Sabha seat in UP to avoid confusion about post-poll preferences in case he contests from another seat.
“While it is for the CEC to affirm his candidature from Varanasi, we are given to understand Modi will contest from a single Lok Sabha seat to provide momentum to party’s electoral prospects in UP,” said a senior BJP leader.
UP BJP sources confided that BJP president Rajnath Singh is likely to give up Ghaziabad seat and contest from Lucknow. Murli Manohar Joshi is likely to contest from Kanpur. Sources revealed that Kalraj Mishra and Vinay Katiyar were unlikely to contest. Deliberations were on about Uma Bharti who wanted to contest from UP.
Sources indicated two MLAs accused in the Muzaffarnagar riots, Hukum Singh (Kairana) and Bhartendu Singh (Bijnore), may contest Lok Sabha polls and two other accused MLAs, Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana, do not fit into social composition of constituencies considered for them. Kalyan Singh is likely to be fielded from Etah and Yogi Adityanath from Gorakhpur.