Miffed at not being handed the Lucknow Lok Sabha ticket, AAP founder-member Ilyas Azmi has refused to contest the upcoming elections from Lakhmipur Kheri, the seat where he has been fielded by the party.
“I had initially asked the party to allot me the Lucknow seat and we had discussed the same in the Political Affairs Committee (PAC). I had cited health reasons and asked the party to give me a smaller constituency,” Azmi said.
Although AAP is yet to announce the candidate for Lucknow, sources said that the party has decided to field Adarsh Shastri, grandson of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, from the seat.
Attacking the party over the decision, Azmi said, “I have built the party with my sweat and blood, but the ticket is being given to those who have recently joined the party. I decide on other candidates’ seats (as a member of PAC), but cannot decide on my own. “Had Arvind (Kejriwal) or Prashant Bhushan contested from Lucknow, I would have happily accepted the decision.”
Former BSP member Azmi, a two-time MP, had lost from the Lakhmipur Kheri seat in 2009. He had quit BSP in 2010 over the issue of corruption. “I will say nothing that would harm the party and neither would I resign as that would have a negative impact during
elections,” he said. When contacted, AAP spokesperson Dilip Pandey said that the party was not aware of Azmi’s stand.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More