- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
AAP fields former judge Fakhruddin against Sonia in Rae Bareli
Former judge Fakhruddin will be Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) candidate in Rae Bareli against Congress president Sonia Gandhi, while Lal Bahadur Shastri’s grandson Adarsh Shastri will contest from Allahabad, as the party on Wednesday announced its 14th list of candidates for 19 Lok Sabha constituencies.
The party named 10 candidates in Uttar Pradesh, two each in Gujarat and Punjab, one each in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal and three in Chhattisgarh.
Justice (rtd) Fakhruddin has served as judge in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh high courts.
Shastri, who is the grandson of former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri and son of Congress leader Anil Shastri, recently left his job with Apple Inc to join AAP.
Harinder Singh Khalsa, former Indian High Commissioner to Norway, will be the party’s candidate from Fatehgarh Sahib in Punjab, while Jasraj Singh Longia will contest from Bathinda against SAD candidate and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal’s wife Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
With this list, the total number of candidates declared by AAP so far has gone up to 426.