The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Saturday defended the existence of the khap panchayats, but said it was opposed to any kind of decision given by them that violated the law of the land.
Speaking to reporters here, senior party leader Yogendra Yadav said, “All castes tend to have their social organisations, which do internal dispute resolution.
“We certainly acknowledge the right of all such organisations to exist. They have a right to exist and perform a legitimate role because we do not want every social dispute to go to the court of law,” he said.
Yadav, who plays a major role in formulating party’s policy on crucial issues, said that the problem arose when the khap panchayats violated the law with their decisions.
“The problem arises when the dispute resolution is done through cohesion…when the law of land is broken or when killings and murders are defended in the name of some adjectives like honour killing, etc.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
We are absolutely unopposed to compromising any cohesion, violation of law or any killing,” he added.
Slamming other political parties for succumbing to the khap panchayats, Yadav said that the AAP will not fall before the feet of these community organisations for the sake of votes.
“Other parties go and ask for vote, fall before their feet. They say even if there is a murder (order issued by the khap panchayat) we will keep quiet for a few days. AAP has not done this before or do not intend to do this in future,” he said.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, in a recent interview, had said he does not see the need for banning khap panchayats or unelected all-male village councils that often endorse harsh treatment of women because they serve a “cultural purpose.”