Prime Minister Narendra Modi has identified “all important policy issues” as a portfolio subject within his remit in the allocation of Cabinet responsibilities Tuesday, lending to his office powers across ministries to control and direct crucial policy matters.
The intention, sources said, is to focus policy making in the PMO and ensure that all ministries obtain approvals at the initial stages rather than start consultations by moving Cabinet notes or issue policy guidelines without prior consent. In Gujarat, sources said, such a system had helped bring about predictability and uniformity in policy, particularly in the industry sector.
Executing this at the Centre would require streamlining procedures and, at some point, the PMO may look to create a category that would separate important policy subjects. In which case, once an issue is identified as such, the PMO could play a more direct role regardless of the ministry.
While the rules of business allocation do enshrine a necessary supremacy to the PMO, sources said, a clear mention of this in the allocation of duties means that the Prime Minister can authoritatively take the lead in not just policy control but even policy authorship.
Instead of getting a ministry to generate a Cabinet note on any policy subject through discussion and consultation, the PMO can direct the Cabinet Secretariat to have a note put up. This authority could also be used to ensure compliance and, in a way, institutionalise a strong check on all ministries.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
At the moment, however, this subject has left much of the bureaucracy groping on how this would be implemented. But to those familiar with Modi’s governance style, this is the first step towards exercising control over ministers and creating the official basis for getting senior officials across ministries to brief him directly on what he may define as an important policy issue.