As Varanasi goes to polls tomorrow, there will be close to 2,500 Narendras and 3,600 Arvinds exercising their voting rights, but they will be still outnumbered in a big way by voters sharing their first names with candidates of parties like Congress, BSP, CPM and SP.
BJP has fielded its Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi from Varanasi Lok Sabha seat, where others in the fray include AAP’s Arvind Kejriwal, Congress’ Ajay Rai, Samajwadi Party’s Kailash Nath Chaurasia, BSP’s Vijay Prakash Jaiswal and CPM’s Hiralal Yadav.
Also in the contest are Trinamool Congress’ Indira Tiwari and candidates from 16 other smaller parties along with 20 independents — taking the total number of candidates to a record 42 in this constituency which has close to 16 lakh voters.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
An analysis of the Varanasi Lok Sabha voter list shows that there are thousands of voters who share their first names with the major candidates trying their luck in these elections.
Even among the candidates, there are three Narendras — BJP’s Narendra Modi, Janshakti Ekta Party’s Narendra Nath Dubey Adig and independent Narendra Bahadur Singh.
Among the voters, there are close to 2,500 persons with Narendra as their first names, while over 3,600 have Arvind in their name.
However, there are no voters with Narendra Modi or Arvind Kejriwal as their names.
Neither the BJP’s Prime Minister candidate nor the AAP national convenor are voters here.
In case of Congress candidate Ajay Rai, at least 15 voters are his namesake, while those with ‘Ajay’ as their first names are close to 16,000.
There are also three voters named ‘Kailash Nath Chaurasiya’, while number of those sharing SP candidate’s first name stands at more than 6,600.
More than 6,000 of these share both the first and middle name of the SP leader.
Beating them all, there are close to 17,000 voters with Vijay as their first name, the same as the BSP candidate for this Lok Sabha election.
In case of CPM candidate Hiralal Yadav, at least 30 voters share full name with him, while the number of voters with ‘Hira’ as their first name stands at abut 14,000 in Varanasi.
Nearly 200 voters also share the first name of Trinamool candidate Indira Tiwari — the only woman candidate here.
There is also a transgender Basheer Kinnar in the fray.