The ruling Trinamool Congress on Saturday hailed the judgement in the Kamduni gangrape and murder case as a big achievement of the state administration while the opposition Left Front and Congress questioned the ‘delay’ and acquittal of two accused respectively.
“It is a big achievement of the administration,” TMC leader Mukul Roy said.
“We are happy with the judgement. Those who have committed the crime, the judicial system has punished them. We are happy that the culprits have been punished,” TMC leader and state Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim said.
- West Bengal: As Oppn corners it on ‘crimes’, TMC banks on its schemes to woo women
- 2013 Kamduni gangrape-murder: 3 get death sentence, life term for 3 others
- Kamduni rape and murder: TMC hails verdict, Oppn see ‘govt involvement’ in acquittals
- 2013 Kamduni gangrape-murder: Kolkata court finds six guilty, sentencing likely today
- Chargesheet filed in Kamduni rape
- Kamduni residents keep off TMC march,Dum Dum women fill gap
Three persons, convicted in the brutal Kamduni gangrape and murder of a 21-year-old college student over two years back, were today sentenced to death by a city court while three others got life imprisonment.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanchita Sarkar handed out capital sentence to Aminul Ali, Saiful Ali and Ansar Ali, while Imanul Islam, Aminul Islam and Bhola Naskar were sentenced to life imprisonment for the gangrape and murder of the young woman on June 7, 2013.
The Opposition, however, questioned why it took so “long” for the police to place the charge sheet and why it “failed” to get evidence against the two who were acquitted by the court.
“What took so long for the police to book those criminals? If police had acted impartially then the two who were acquitted could also have been booked,” a Left Front leader said.
WBPCC President Adhir Chowdhury too welcomed the judgement but questioned the role of police in the probe which led to acquittal of two other accused.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now