By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: April 21, 2014 6:30 pm
Row erupted on Monday over a ‘clean chit’ given by Congress leader Amarinder Singh to Jagdish Tytler, one of the accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Peeved over Captain Amarinder Singh’s statement giving a clean chit to Tytler, scores of Akali activists reached the Congress office at 24, Akbar Road, holding placards and raised anti-Congress slogans and clashed with police, which had erected barricades to stop them.
As the protesters refused to budge, police resorted to use of water cannon to disperse them.
In an interview to a TV news channel, Captain Amarinder had said, “I was the first one to reach Delhi after riots started. When did Tytler’s name come up. It came up when he was fighting Madan Lal Khurana in Delhi.”
Meanwhile, BJP leader Arun Jaitley on Monday alleged that those guilty for the “state sponsored” violence still remain unpunished.
Describing the “massacre” of innocent Sikhs after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi as a “black spot” in the democracy, the BJP leader, wrote in his blog, “The fact that the innocents can be killed in thousands is terrible. What is worse is that the guilty went unpunished”.
Amarinder is contesting against senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley from Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency.
(With PTI inputs)
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai