Pakistan on Thursday summoned India’s deputy high commissioner JP Singh and “condemned the unprovoked” ceasefire violation by India along the Line of Control (LoC) in which two civilians were killed and five others injured. According to a statement issued by Foreign Office, India resorted to firing in Battal, Jandrot and Kotli sectors.
The statement said, “The Director General (South Asia & SAARC), Dr Mohammad Faisal, summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner, J P Singh and condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian occupation forces on June 1.”
The statement also said that “deliberate targeting” of civilians is contrary to human dignity, international human rights and humanitarian laws.
The Foreign Office said, “The Director General urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 ceasefire understanding, investigate this and other incidents of ceasefire violations, instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC.”
In Battal sector, one person was killed and four others injured, while in Kotli sector, one person was killed and one injured.
Earlier in the day, in an another incident, a General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) labourer was killed and five others injured as Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked mortar shelling and automatic weapons fire at various places along the Line of Control in Rajouri and Poonch districts of Jammu and Kashmir. Defence ministry spokesperson Lt Colonel Manish Mehta said that the unprovoked shelling from across the LoC first started in Nowshera sector at 7.20 am and in next 20 minutes, the Pakistani troops opened another front in Krishna Ghati area. He said, “They were indiscriminately firing 82 mm and 120 mm mortar shells, automatics and small arms. Indian troops were retaliating strongly and effectively.”