#NotInMyName protests: Thousands hit the streets against mob lynchings

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 28, 2017 11:21 pm
not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news Thousands of people across the country today took to the streets under the banner of ‘Not in My Name’, protesting recent mob lynchings. (Source: Aaron Pereira)

“Dear Ma, I am home. You wanted me to buy new clothes in Delhi, but fate has landed me in heaven, where you don’t have marauding mobs. I am home. Yours, Junaid.” This was a letter read out by Junaid’s 22-year-old brother Mohammed Asaruddin, who called it a “letter to his mother from heaven”.

“Even I was called a terrorist in college. This issue is of identity and we have reached a point where we are having to conceal skull caps and other symbols that define Islam,” Asaruddin added addressing the crowd at Jantar Mantar.

The lynching of 15-year-old Junaid Khan in a Mathura-bound train last week triggered widespread protests across the country on Wednesday, with people taking to the streets under the common banner, ‘Not in My Name’. Hundreds of people gathered at various locations around the country to protest against the mob violence.

not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news (Source: Aaron Pereira)

The protests were organised in New Delhi, Kolkata, Allahabad, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Patna, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Lucknow, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram. Similar protests will also be held in London, Toronto, and Boston on June 29.

People took to the streets holding placards that read: “Break the Silence”, “No Place for Islamophobia” and “Shed Hate not Blood” among others. Protesters said that the gathering was a message that there is a need to unite for a cause.

Gurgaon-based independent filmmaker, Saba Dewan spearheaded the protests at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar. Her post went viral on Facebook with many responding to her rallying call. “Shouldn’t there be protests against the lynchings especially after the murder yesterday in Delhi NCR by a mob of a 16-year-old Muslim boy? If not now then when? Why wait for political formations to organize a demonstration? Why can’t all of us as citizens repulsed by the violence get together in protest at the earliest next week at Jantar Mantar under the banner – Not in my Name (sic),” she wrote in the post.

not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia at the event in Jantar Mantar. (Source: Vishnu Varma)

The event at Jantar Mantar was also attended by several political leaders such as Congress’ chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala and TS Singh Deo and Aam Aadmi Party’s Manish Sisodia and Ashutosh.

“No lynching and certainly #NotInMyName. I condemn it & request other citizens to come forward. This is not the nation we imagined,” TS Singh Deo tweeted.

not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news Protesters holding placards at Jantar Mantar. (Source: Aaron Pereira)

AAP leader Ashutosh tweeted, “It’s time to stand up and oppose barbarism #NotInMyName”. He was also at the protest in Jantar Mantar.

Speaking to indianexpress.com, Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia said: “I haven’t seen such insecurity across the country…I am worried about for my family, society and country…The nation’s voice must be heard.”

CPI MP D Raja also joined the protests. Speaking to indianexpress.com, he said: “Today there is a protest, it is a political initiative taken by the citizens of the country against the lynching that is going on across the country, against minorities, against Dalits, particularly in BJP-ruled states. PM Modi has not uttered a word on the ongoing lynching of Dalits and minorities in the country. Such a killing cannot happen…The Government has to defend our secular right and the constitution. Govt has completely failed…”

not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news (Source: Express photo by Vishnu Varma)

“This is a strong message to the Prime Minister and the government, they cannot think that this will go unchallenged.”

CPI(M) on its official Twitter handle extended its support to the campaign. “CPIM extends support to the citizens match #NotInMyName against Mob Lynchings by right-wing Hindutva forces,” it tweeted.

not in my name, #notinmyname, not in my name protest, not in my name new delhi, not in my name jantar mantar, not in my name mumbai, not in my name bengaluru, not in my name bangalore, junaid khan lynching, muslim lynching, india news Musicians performing on a stage as crowds swell at Jantar Mantar. (Source: Aaron Pereira)

Former education and culture minister of Kerala, and a member of the CPM Politburo MA Baby was also present at Jantar Mantar. “They are trying to murder the idea of India. By dividing India on religious lines, they want to establish a Hindu India. That’s why they are attacking Muslims, mosques, Dalits and others. They want such sections of people to live as second rate citizens as servants of Hindus. Golwalkar has written in his book that India is for Hindus. This is a fight by the citizens of India challenging such thinking and against such ideologies. This protest that has no political backing is a manifestation of Indians ability and energy to fight against such forces,” he said speaking to indianexpress.com.

1. C
    Casteless
    Jun 30, 2017 at 10:40 pm
    This is once again Hindu bashing like earlier 'Intolerance' campaign. There are protests when Muslims are killed but complete silence when Hindus are killed. Modiji of course is responsible for all the evils in the society which were absent before he became the PM. These anti Hindu leftists, liberals are doing a great job for BJP because the ordinary Hindus and people in general are able to to see the hypocrisy and double standards and it will only strengthen their resolve to defeat the pseudo sickulars.
      May Flower
      Jun 30, 2017 at 5:47 pm
      Dear Saba Dewan, you did good. Only a couple of days ago there was a lynching of a DySP, in Kashmir, who also was a son, husband, father. Though it is a chronologically wrong order, still you could organize a protest. Else people might think lynching by Muslims is fine in India. They might also think of you as an agent of fundamentalist Muslims. Regards
        SHASHANK Mittal
        Jun 30, 2017 at 12:01 pm
        Few weeks ago a Hindu boy in Karnataka, was killed by muslims for marrying their daughter. Similarly, a Hindu couple was killed by muslim youths in Lonavala, Maharashtra. These incidents were passed off as law and order issue . There was no hue and cry, no outrage. Similarly, train murder is a law and order problem. Any form of violence is not acceptable but intellectual members of our society are very selective. Any form of violence against minority community is viewed as hate violence by majority community and intellectuals ensure that the image of current government is tarnished.
        1. B
          Badri
          Jun 30, 2017 at 11:42 am
          It was the mistake on the part of the person who lynched the boy of 15 years old. Where were these persons when the politicians from the opposition parties abused our our great Indian Army why the so called activities should not protested. We are safe because our jawans guarding our country. It is high time for the public to speak against and condemn these so called secular parties, NGOs, individuals and activities who are speaking against our Great Army.
            Angry Secular Indian
            Jun 30, 2017 at 9:07 am
            Where were these peoples when kashmiri pandits were killed in Kashmir and Sikhs were killed in1984. These peoples are part of secular peoples for whom only the life of one particular community values but for other communities they hide themselves.
            1. V
              Viquar Ahmed
              Jun 29, 2017 at 9:53 pm
              RSS bjp are the master mind about the lynching of minorities and DALITS. If these repeated then India will become another Taliban. And US and chinese will attack and blast Rss chaddi gang and other saffron Hindu terrorist Ass.
                Angry Secular Indian
                Jun 30, 2017 at 9:11 am
                What is the problem with you peoples,it is only due to you peoples this atmosphere has been created. When peoples of hindu, christian, sikh communities are killed then you says nothing if people from other communities are killed, without knowing the reasons behind it you peoples starts blaming RSS, BJP, what happened in CPI, TMC, Congress ruled places nobody says anything
                Ashok
                Jun 29, 2017 at 7:03 pm
                Wah re secular logo, tab tum log koi pardarshan nahi katre jab mauharram ke deen julus ke dauraan bhid hinduon ke ghar mein aag laga deti hai, Mandiron ki murtiyon ko tod deti hai.... Mumbai mein azad maidan mein rally mein muslims police ko bhi nahin chhodte, police ki gadiyon mein aag laga dete hai... Sari dharam nirpekshta jabhi yaad aati bhi koi ghatana kisi musalman ke saath hai. Jab kashmir mein hinduon ko ghar se neekal kar maari ja rahi thi....Tab khan mar gaye sab , jab masjidon se announce kiya na raha tha hinduon yahan chale jao apni auraton aur ladyion yahi chhod jao, tab kahan mar gaye the saare...... Sharm karlo
                  Mâññâyâdâv k%c3%bcshw%c3%a2h%c3%a2
                  Jun 29, 2017 at 6:24 pm
                  What these jokers have to say about lynching of DSP Ayub pandita by his own Muslim brothers..even Mirwaiz zipped his mouth..and was busy showing his anger on Twitter for not allowed to celebrate EID, PATHETICALLY SELFISH.!! What about lynching of Lt ummar Fayaz by his own Kashmiri Muslim brothers..was it justified by these sickos who are protesting at jantar mantar. What about burning of muslim pregnant woman by her own parents for marrying a hindu dalit.. Her life does not matter for these constipated pseudo award wapasi boot lickers. What about the deaths of six Muslim police men by Kashmiri Muslim Terrorists? Why not a word on lynching of dr Narang by the Muslim scoundrels!! Some lynching even took place in West Bengal in the state of jehadi didi...again not a word from these morons ,not a single word of criticism.!! What about lynching of BJP and RSS workers that's going on in Kerala, hundreds killed by Lal chaddhi vampires!! The rapists of Rinku, Twinkle kumari were all muslim