On the second day of his Varanasi visit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday lashed out at his political rivals, saying for the BJP, politics was not for the sake of votes as it considered the country’s development as the top-most priority. He also promised to double farm income and provide homes to the homeless by 2022. He said his government had “waged a war” against black money and corruption, for which the poor has had to suffer because of “the loot” by the dishonest. The PM distributed certificates to beneficiaries of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Rural & Urban).
Earlier on Friday, visiting Varanasi for the first time since the BJP’s victory in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections earlier this year, PM Modi inaugurated several projects and schemes for the constituency and said that his government not only launches projects but also finishes them.
Addressing a crowd of approximately 15,000 people who had assembled from across the region at Bada Lalpur area of Varanasi, Modi said that these projects, worth over Rs 1,000 crore, have been completed under UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
Here are the live updates:
3.10 pm: Earlier in his rally, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had encouraged the farmers to adopt dairy farming and animal husbandary as alternate sources of income and insisted that such initiatives would lead to “a new path of progress” that would not only raise farmers’ income but also the overall national income.
12.20 pm: PM Modi inaugurates the Pashudhan Arogya Mela at Shahanshahpur, Varanasi
12.00 pm: PM Modi interacts with the people at Shahanshahpur, Varanasi
11.15 am: PM Modi’s speech marred by protesting ‘shikshamitras’ demanding reinstatement in UP’s primary schools. They were whisked away by the police
11.05 am: We aim to provide homes to each and every poor by the year 2022, says PM
11.00 am: Swachhata is a Puja for me. Cleanliness is a way to serve the poor of India. I was also happy to see that a lot of toilets have already been constructed in rural areas, says PM
10.58 am: A survey reveals that the construction of toilets in homes helps people keep away from diseases, says PM
10.55 am: Each one of us has to come forward for cleanliness in the country, says PM
10.53 am: A clean India also means a healthier India. I had the opportunity to help in toilet construction at a village nearby. The people of the village have decided to make the village open defecation free, says PM
10.51 am: ‘Swachhta’ has to become ‘Swabhav’, its our collective responsibility. A cleaner India will also be a healthier India: PM Modi
10. 50 am: Doubling of farmers income is an area in which significant work is being done. Schemes like soil health card are benefitting farmers, says PM
10. 48 am: Our nation has progressed in terms of milk production today, says PM
10. 47 am: The UP Govt has made a lot of efforts to bring in this development and we all will work together for this, says PM
10.45 am: For us, governance is not about politics or winning elections. But for us country is more important than the party, says PM
10. 40 am: Focus on animal health is commendable. This focus will benefit the farmers across the state, says PM
10. 37 am: I want to congratulate the UP Govt & specially CM Yogi Adityanath for holding the Pashudhan Arogya Mela. This Pashudhan mela will benefit the farmers across the state, says PM
10.36 am: PM Modi addresses farmers rally in Varanasi
10. 30 am: PM Modi distribute certificates to Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) beneficiaries in Shahanshahpur, UP
10.00 am: PM Narendra Modi at Pashu Arogya Mela in Shahanshahpur.
09.45 am: PM Modi lays the foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, in Shahanshahpur village. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath also present.
Varanasi: PM Modi lays foundation for toilet under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, in Shahanshahpur, CM Yogi Adityanath also present pic.twitter.com/OkyELlanJb
— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) September 23, 2017
09. 30 am: Welcome to the live blog where we will be tracking all the updates from PM Modi’s second day visit to his parliamentary constituency of Varanasi.