Ahead of the funeral of Dawoodi Bohra spiritual leader Dr Syedna Mohammad Burhanuddin in Mumbai, a stampede broke out near his residence Saifee Mahal, Malabar Hill, in the wee hours of Saturday morning, killing 18 people and leaving at least 46 injured.
The worst such tragedy in the metropolis showed complete lack of coordination between Mumbai police and Bohra community leaders. The police also appeared to have grossly underestimated the turnout of those seeking to pay their last respects. Those killed in the stampede included two minors and five senior citizens.
However, police said the stampede broke out as community leaders closed the gates of the Syedna’s residence, located in a narrow lane, causing people gathered outside to rush to get in. The incident happened around 1.30 am, shortly after community leaders announced that the gates would be closed.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen