‘Loan waiver has become fashion’, says Venkaiah Naidu

Reacting sharply to Venkaiah Naidu's comment on loan waiver, CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechury said the comments were disrespectful towards the farmer community. "Calling loan waiver fashionable is a disrespect to our anndaata," he told media.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published: June 22, 2017 12:59 pm
venkaiah naidu, farm loan waiver, loan waiver, farmer protest, farmer agitation, mandsaur, maharashtra farmer protest, india news, indian express news “We have to take care of farmers,” Venkaiah Naidu added while speaking at the BSE office in Mumbai. (Source: PTI Photo/File)

A day after Karnataka decided to waive farmer loans, Union Minister for Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu said loan waivers has become fashion. “Loan waiver has become fashion now. Loan should be waived but in extreme situations only as it’s not final solution,” Naidu was quoted as saying by news agency ANI in Mumbai. “We have to take care of farmers,” he added while speaking at the BSE office in Mumbai.

“See what happened to Air India, government has no business to be in business. It needs to focus on healthcare, administration, education and basic amenities,” Naidu said in his address while launching Pune’s municipal bond program.

Reacting sharply to Naidu’s comment, CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechury said the comments were disrespectful towards the farmer community. “36-40,000 farmers have committed suicide in last three years. Calling loan waiver fashionable is a disrespect to our anndaata,” he was quoted as saying by ANI.

Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah urged PM Narendra Modi on Wednesday to waive farm loans taken from commercial and nationalised banks as well. He said loans amounting to Rs 8,165 crore will be waived through the state government’s move, helping over 22.27 lakh farmers. UP, Maharashtra and Punjab have also announced farm loan waivers.

Farmers in different parts of the country have been demanding fair crop prices and loan waivers. So far the governments of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh have decided to waive farmer loans in their state.

1. Charlie Bean
    Jan 7, 2018 at 4:13 am
    I`m Charlie Bean and I live in Toronto Canada. I needed a loan to buy a house and I searched for a mortgage loan from all banks and I was denied and I loss hope of having my own house until I came across a post just as you reading my post now. I saw a post about a Financial Service Company who gives loan at 2 interest so I applied in STEAKLEY FINANCIAL SERVICES using their email steakleyfinancialservices yahoo . And my loan was granted it was like a dream but was true and now am a owner of a house in Toronto and am paying the mortgage loan with no stress and I also requested if I can be granted a business loan and I was also granted. Now am living a happy life, I will advice you if you have an financial problems and you need money to settle it so you can pay with no stress just contact Steakley Financial Service at their email Steakleyfinancialservices yahoo or number 1(512) 714-8010.
    (0)(0)
    1. Luis Root
      Dec 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
      MOORE LOANS SAVE ME WHEN THERE WAS NO HOPE {mooreloancompany yahoo } Hello everyone in this forum, I am Luis Root from USA, I cannot believe that God really exist not until i was Redeemed and saved from Financial bondage.. l was into financial crisis and needed to pay some bills. l tried seeking help from banks but all to no avail,l also tried seeking help from the internet only to meet scammers who pretended to be private lender and made away with my $15000 and did not get my loan, not until GOD introduce me to Moore Robbinson through a friend who was rescued from financial problem and a loan of $100,000.00 was granted to him by Moore Robbinson, so l took his advise and contacted Moore Loan Company and in the space of one week my loan of $200000 was granted to me.so my advise to everyone seeking for loan at low interest rate of 2 .l am doing this because l am so happy am out of financial bondage and am once again full of joy and life is easy all thanks to GOD and Moore Robbinson
      (0)(0)
      1. Luis Root
        Dec 31, 2017 at 9:38 am
        (0)(0)
          markherry
          Jul 29, 2017 at 2:16 am
          Hello Everybody, My name is Mrs.Esther Queen. I live in USA and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Esther Queen, that refer you to him. contact Mr Mark Harry,via email:(markherry0001 ) Thank you.
          (0)(0)
          1. Anumakonda Jagadeesh
            Jun 23, 2017 at 8:06 am
            The Yogi Adityanath-led government in Uttar Pradesh approved waiver of farm loans up to Rs 1 lakh, fulfilling a major election promise made by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). According to state government sources, the decision will benefit 2.25 crore farmers and is likely to cost the state exchequer Rs 36,000 crore. During the election campaign, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had promised that writing off farm loans would be among the foremost task of the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh. HOW ABOUT THIS? Dr.A.Jagadeesh Nellore(AP)
            (0)(0)