Trinamool Congress candidate Prasun Banerjee today won the Howrah Lok Sabha seat in a bye-election defeating his nearest rival,CPI(M) candidate Sridip Bhattacherjee,by over 27,000 votes.
Though official results were still to be declared,Election Commission sources said that Prasun Banerjee secured 4,26,273 votes and Sridip Bhattacherjee 3,99,258 votes.
Congress candidate Sanatan Mukherjee was in third spot polling 96,727 votes.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The sources said that counting of 300 votes in one EVM which developed a technical malfunction would be taken up before the official declaration of the result.
The seat fell vacant following the death of TMC MP Ambika Banerjee.
Senior TMC leader and Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters that the poll result would give a boost to the party before next month’s crucial panchayat elections.
The result prove that people reposed their faith on the performance of Mamata Banerjee government in the past two years,he also said.
CPI(M) blames ‘BJP opting out’ and ‘state terror’ for defeat
The CPI(M) today attributed its defeat in the Howrah Lok Sabha bye-election to the Trinamool Congress getting all of the BJP which did not contest the election and to TMC ‘terror’,while applauding its increase in vote share.
“The increase in our vote share is obviously a positive sign in favour of the Left. But the reign of terror created by the Trinamool to stop people from voting and BJP deciding to opt out,proved to be deciding factors,” CPI(M) central committee member Mohammed Salim said.
Salim said,the entire vote share of the BJP went to TMC’s kitty,which in turn helped increase the party’s vote share.