Trinamool Congress candidate Prasun Banerjee today won the Howrah Lok Sabha seat in a bye-election defeating his nearest rival,CPI(M) candidate Sridip Bhattacherjee,by over 27,000 votes.
Though official results were still to be declared,Election Commission sources said that Prasun Banerjee secured 4,26,273 votes and Sridip Bhattacherjee 3,99,258 votes.
Congress candidate Sanatan Mukherjee was in third spot polling 96,727 votes.
The sources said that counting of 300 votes in one EVM which developed a technical malfunction would be taken up before the official declaration of the result.
The seat fell vacant following the death of TMC MP Ambika Banerjee.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Senior TMC leader and Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee told reporters that the poll result would give a boost to the party before next month’s crucial panchayat elections.
The result prove that people reposed their faith on the performance of Mamata Banerjee government in the past two years,he also said.
CPI(M) blames ‘BJP opting out’ and ‘state terror’ for defeat
The CPI(M) today attributed its defeat in the Howrah Lok Sabha bye-election to the Trinamool Congress getting all of the BJP which did not contest the election and to TMC ‘terror’,while applauding its increase in vote share.
“The increase in our vote share is obviously a positive sign in favour of the Left. But the reign of terror created by the Trinamool to stop people from voting and BJP deciding to opt out,proved to be deciding factors,” CPI(M) central committee member Mohammed Salim said.
Salim said,the entire vote share of the BJP went to TMC’s kitty,which in turn helped increase the party’s vote share.