Eleven persons were injured in a clash between TMC and Congress workers at Sabong in West Midnapore district as the first phase of panchayat polls began today in West Bengal.
The injured included a TMC gram panchayat candidate. Five of the injured were taken to Midnapore Sadar Hospital,police said. In another incident,senior CPI(M) leader Surya Kanto Mishra was involved in an altercation with local Trinamool Congress supporters outside a polling booth at Khadurdah Gram Panchayat area in West Midnapore district.
Police sources said Mishra had an altercation with a group after coming out of the booth where he went to cast votes but he was not manhandled.He was later escorted to his car,they said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
According to eyewitnesses,after coming out of the booth Mishra complained to reporters that the Left was forced to field outsiders in the local rural body polls as its cadre in the area were facing intimidation and threat from Trinamool.
This infuriated some of the Trinamool men present and they entered into an altercation with Mishra but the situation was soon brought under control and he was escorted to the waiting vehicle,the eyewitnesses said.
Trinamool claimed Mishra was making baseless allegations in the polling area while the CPI(M) alleged the opposition leader in Assembly was heckled.
Votes in 67 Zilla Parishads besides pancayat samities and gram panchayats are being held in the district along with Bankura and Purulia in the first phase.