The tumble down at Islamabad,despite all the preparations,has prompted an introspection in New Delhi as well. While Indian interlocutors were left baffled by the way Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi came across at the talks,there is a considerable gulf between Home Ministry and External Affairs Ministry that too needs to be urgently bridged.
The MEA apparently did not even get a detailed read out of what transpired during the Home Ministers visit in June and more importantly,remains completely in the dark on what David Coleman Headley told NIA interrogators. The extent of the ISI involvement being one such critical issue.
Its learnt that this serious lapse in coordination has now reached the Prime Ministers doorstep for resolution after S M Krishnas visit fell below expectations.
Believe it or not,the other thought doing the rounds in South Block is never to schedule Indo-Pak talks on July 15-16. It was on July 16,2001,that then MEA spokesperson Nirupama Rao,now Foreign Secretary,told a tired press in Agra that the destination of an agreed joint statement has not been reached. It was also on July 16 last year that the controversial joint statement at Sharm-el-Sheikh was released,which led to a furore in Parliament.