Birthday wishes from Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi to Desiya Murpokku Dravid Kazhagam (DMDK) founder and Opposition Leader Vijayakant on Sunday has set off speculations in the political circles in Tamil Nadu about an alliance between the two parties for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
While the Congress camp is elated,the followers of Vijayakant,who affectionately call him “Captain”,don’t want to jump the guns.
A senior DMDK leader said that “there is no politics” behind the Gandhi-Vijayakant conversation and said the young leader has reciprocated with the gesture.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He said that Vijayakant had earlier spoken to Gandhi to wish him on the latter’s birthday and the Congress leader had only returned the gesture.
He said it was too early to talk about alliance as Vijayakant would take a call at the “right time”.
The Congress,on the other hand,is ‘elated,’ believing Gandhi has set the ball rolling for a new tie-up as the party has depended on one of the Dravidian parties since its defeat in 1967 at the hands of a rising and resurgent DMK led by its founder,the late C N Annadurai.
“The Congress cadre is very enthusiastic. They are very happy and elated” over the development,party sources said.
Gandhi calling up ‘Captain’ should rejoice many a DMDK supporter as it comes in the backdrop of Vijayakant facing crisis in his own party with seven of his MLAs shifting loyalties to ruling AIADMK led by J Jayalalithaa.
DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member Assembly including seven rebels,has secured seven per cent vote in the previous elections since its formation in 2005,while Congress has five legislators.