Birthday wishes from Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi to Desiya Murpokku Dravid Kazhagam (DMDK) founder and Opposition Leader Vijayakant on Sunday has set off speculations in the political circles in Tamil Nadu about an alliance between the two parties for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
While the Congress camp is elated,the followers of Vijayakant,who affectionately call him “Captain”,don’t want to jump the guns.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
A senior DMDK leader said that “there is no politics” behind the Gandhi-Vijayakant conversation and said the young leader has reciprocated with the gesture.
He said that Vijayakant had earlier spoken to Gandhi to wish him on the latter’s birthday and the Congress leader had only returned the gesture.
He said it was too early to talk about alliance as Vijayakant would take a call at the “right time”.
The Congress,on the other hand,is ‘elated,’ believing Gandhi has set the ball rolling for a new tie-up as the party has depended on one of the Dravidian parties since its defeat in 1967 at the hands of a rising and resurgent DMK led by its founder,the late C N Annadurai.
“The Congress cadre is very enthusiastic. They are very happy and elated” over the development,party sources said.
Gandhi calling up ‘Captain’ should rejoice many a DMDK supporter as it comes in the backdrop of Vijayakant facing crisis in his own party with seven of his MLAs shifting loyalties to ruling AIADMK led by J Jayalalithaa.
DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member Assembly including seven rebels,has secured seven per cent vote in the previous elections since its formation in 2005,while Congress has five legislators.