A Hizbul Mujahideen militant was killed and four policemen escorting him to Baramulla district jail were injured in a grenade attack by ultras here today.
A civilian pedestrian was also injured in the attack on the vehicle carrying the militant,Shakeel Ahmad Kasana,who was an undertrial,in the crowded Batamaloo bus stand in central Srinagar around noon,a police spokesman said.
Kasana,a resident of Akhal village of Kangan in Ganderbal district,was a Hizbul Mujahideen militant who was arrested last year under Section 7/25 of the Arms Act and slapped with the Public Safety Act,the spokesman said.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
The grenade was lobbed by unidentified militants on a police vehicle carrying Kasana to Baramulla district jail from Panthachowk police station,he said.
The grenade landed and exploded inside the vehicle,injuring four policemen and Kasana,who later succumbed at a hospital,he said. This is the first militant strike in Srinagar since the Muslim fasting month of Ramzan began last week.
Police assisted by security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the grenade attack but no one was arrested in the subsequent search operation,the spokesman said. The attack comes barely four days after suspected militants brutally killed a policeman by slitting open his throat in Vilgam village of Kupwara district.