A day after a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court rejected the anticipatory bail application of IPS officer P P Pandey,the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to give interim protection against arrest to him in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
A bench of Chief Justice P Sathasivam and Justice Ranjana Desai agreed to hear his appeal against Gujarat High Court order rejecting his anticipatory bail plea.
Senior Advocate Jaspal Singh,appearing for Pandey,urged the court to grant him protection till Monday but the bench turned down his request saying that it will hear the matter on August 12.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The High Court had yesterday declined to give further protection to Pandey from arrest by CBI. The trial court had also rejected his anticipatory bail plea on the ground that probe in the case is pending and is at a crucial juncture.
Yesterday,the trial court had also rejected his plea for exemption from personal appearance and had issued non-bailable warrant against him after he failed to appear before it.
Pandey,who was declared absconder,had appeared before the special CBI court in Ahmedabad on July 29 on the direction of the apex court.
The apex court had on July 26 directed Additional DGP Pandey to appear before the trial court on July 29 and had restrained the CBI from arresting him till then.
The High Court had on July 1 dismissed Pandey’s plea for quashing of FIR against him in the fake encounter case.
The 1982-batch IPS officer was Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime),Ahmedabad,when Mumbai-based Ishrat,her friend Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai,and their associates Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were gunned down by Crime Branch sleuths on June 15,2004 on the city outskirts.
The CBI had named seven Gujarat police officers including Pandey in the chargesheet filed in July in the case. The chargesheet had termed the encounter to be fake and had also held that it was a joint operation between Gujarat Police and Intelligence Bureau.
(With PTI inputs)