A day after a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court rejected the anticipatory bail application of IPS officer P P Pandey,the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to give interim protection against arrest to him in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
A bench of Chief Justice P Sathasivam and Justice Ranjana Desai agreed to hear his appeal against Gujarat High Court order rejecting his anticipatory bail plea.
Senior Advocate Jaspal Singh,appearing for Pandey,urged the court to grant him protection till Monday but the bench turned down his request saying that it will hear the matter on August 12.
The High Court had yesterday declined to give further protection to Pandey from arrest by CBI. The trial court had also rejected his anticipatory bail plea on the ground that probe in the case is pending and is at a crucial juncture.
Yesterday,the trial court had also rejected his plea for exemption from personal appearance and had issued non-bailable warrant against him after he failed to appear before it.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Pandey,who was declared absconder,had appeared before the special CBI court in Ahmedabad on July 29 on the direction of the apex court.
The apex court had on July 26 directed Additional DGP Pandey to appear before the trial court on July 29 and had restrained the CBI from arresting him till then.
The High Court had on July 1 dismissed Pandey’s plea for quashing of FIR against him in the fake encounter case.
The 1982-batch IPS officer was Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime),Ahmedabad,when Mumbai-based Ishrat,her friend Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai,and their associates Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were gunned down by Crime Branch sleuths on June 15,2004 on the city outskirts.
The CBI had named seven Gujarat police officers including Pandey in the chargesheet filed in July in the case. The chargesheet had termed the encounter to be fake and had also held that it was a joint operation between Gujarat Police and Intelligence Bureau.
(With PTI inputs)