India and China are in touch to resolve the situation arising out of deep incursion by Chinese troops who entered the Indian territory in Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector in eastern Ladakh and erected a tented post.
According to government sources,the issue was raised by India after the incident came to light some time ago.
This is an area where there have been differing perceptions of the Line of Actual Control. Incidents do occur and are resolved peacefully on the basis of bilateral agreements which exist and mechanisms provided for in these agreements, the sources said.
We are confident that the current incident too will also be peacefully resolved on this basis, they added.
A Platoon-strength contingent of China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) came 10 km inside the Indian territory in Burthe in DBO sector,which is at an altitude of about 17,000 feet,on the night of April 15 and established a tented post there,according to highly placed sources which said a Chinese Army Platoon usually consists of around 50 men.
The government sources said both sides (India and China) are in touch on the current incident,availing the working mechanism for consultation and coordination on India-China border affairs.
The mechanism is headed by the Joint Secretary (East Asia) in the Ministry of External Affairs and the Director General Border Affairs of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Mooted by former Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao,the mechanism was finalised last year at the conclusion of the 15th meeting of the Special Representatives (SR) on the boundary question — National Security Adviser Shiv Shankar Menon and Chinese State Councillor Dai Bingguo.
Under the mechanism,the two sides undertake other tasks that are mutually agreed upon by the two sides but will not discuss resolution of the boundary question or affect the Special Representatives Mechanism.
It will study ways and means to conduct and strengthen exchanges and cooperation between military personnel and establishments of the two sides in the border areas