Monsoon today roared into Delhi and hit Punjab and Haryana almost a fortnight in advance as heavy rains lashed northern India,driving away the heat and spreading cheer among the people.
Strong easterlies pushed the monsoon clouds over the national capital with seasonal rains now having covered the entire country almost a month in advance,MeT officials said.
Rainfall recorded in nine hours in the city till 5.30 PM was 36.6-mm,the MeT department added.
“Monsoon has reached Delhi today and also covered the entire country,” India Meteorological Department director Brahm Prakash Yadav told PTI. The normal date for the arrival of monsoon in Delhi is June 29.
Monsoon rains,which usually cover the entire country by July 15,had covered two-thirds of its landmass by Friday.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Rains in Delhi led to water-logging and traffic snarls in some areas with the MeT office forecasting heavy showers in some parts of the city tomorrow.
Moderate to heavy rainfall and thundershowers,meanwhile,occurred at several places in Uttar Pradesh in the last 24 hours. According to the weatherman,monsoon clouds further advanced in UP to cover the entire state today.
Konaon and Najibabad received 5-cm rainfall each while Shaharanpur,Muzaffarnagar,Nagina and Deoband,too,reported showers.
Arriving almost a fortnight before its usual date,monsoon had today covered all of Punjab,Haryana and the Union Territory of Chandigarh,MeT officials said.
“Southwest monsoon has further advanced into the remaining parts of Rajasthan,Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh and (all of) Haryana,Chandigarh… and Punjab,” the MeT office said.
The normal date of arrival of monsoon in Punjab,Haryana and Chandigarh is between June 29-July 5.
In Punjab,Bathinda received 50-mm rainfall with Mansa (49.2-mm),Patiala (47.4-mm) and Ludhiana (32.6-mm),too,experiencing heavy showers. Chandigarh got 58.5-mm rain.
In Haryana,Yamunanagar saw 105-mm rain while handsome showers lashed Ambala (46.7-mm) and Hisar (59.8-mm) as well.
Nearly five villages in Yamunanagar district have been flooded in the heavy rains with water levels also rising in Som river and in the Western Yamuna canal.
Moderate to heavy rain/thundershowers would occur at many places in Punjab and Haryana over the next couple of days,after which a decrease in rainfall has been predicted.