Muslims get less representation in Parliament and state Assemblies because the seats where minority population is in the range of 20 to 30 per cent are reserved,a former member of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) has claimed.
Abdul Ali Azizi who completed his term at the Commission as its member on October 13,suggested that either such constituencies be de-reserved or minority,particularly Muslims,be given benefits accorded to scheduled castes.
“It is surprising and very sad to note that wherever minority population is more than 20-25 per cent,sometimes 30 per cent,these constituencies in Parliament and in the (state) Assembly have been reserved,” he said.
“So where from minorities will come forward? How will they get a chance for representation?,” he asked,describing it as “one of the serious issues”.
He sought that either such constituencies be “kept open” or by an amendment in the Constitution,”minority,particularly Muslims,” be considered as scheduled castes and be given benefits accordingly.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Before the amendment in Article 341,Christians and Muslims were in SC and ST categories till 1950. “That should be considered,” he suggested.
“By embracing to some other religion or by getting converted into other religion his social status is not converted. Person converts to only his concepts and thought but his socio-economic status or political status remains the same,” he contended.
“It’s not only about their education and social status but also their political and economic conditions. Their condition is much more miserable than the Dalits of this country,” he added.