Kerala: Priest, nuns accused of covering up rape case involving Father Robin surrender

Police had arrested Fr Robin of Mananthavady diocese, on charges of raping the minor in his parish at St Sebastian’s Church in Kottiyoor.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: March 17, 2017 11:01 am
Kerala priest rape case, Kerala priest sex scandal, Father Robin Vadakkuncheril, Father Robin Vadakkuncheril alleged rape case, Kerala rape case, Father Robin Vadakkuncheril, accused surrender, India news, Indian Express Father Robin Vadakkuncheril was arrested a fortnight ago. (Express Photo)

Almost a fortnight after Father Robin Vadakkuncheril was arrested on charges of raping a minor, the priest and nuns, who were accused of covering up the incident, on Friday surrendered before police in Kannur district of Kerala.

48-year-old Fr Robin, of Mananthavady diocese, was held on charges of raping the minor at his parish at St Sebastian’s Church in Kottiyoor. She had delivered a baby last month. Last week, a court in Thalassery had allowed police custody of the accused through the weekend.

While the mother of the girl had lamented the “disgrace” that has tainted the family, the father of the victim, a farm labourer, had claimed he had to falsely admit that he had raped his own daughter to “protect the priest and the Church” in what is now being described as the worst sex scandal in the history of Kerala’s Catholic establishment.

Also Read: Kerala sex scandal: To save a priest from disgrace, I falsely said I raped my daughter, says girl’s father

Police said the priest had raped the girl during the summer vacation last May. At the time, she was engaged in entering data in the parish computer, along with some other girls.

Speaking to the Indian Express, the heart-broken father had said,“The priest betrayed our family and our faith in the Church. After my daughter delivered the baby, he wanted someone to take responsibility for the birth. How could I find someone for this job? Finally, I had to falsely state that I was the father of my daughter’s baby. As a believer, I also wanted to avoid the disgrace falling on the priest and the Church.”

“But I realised the seriousness of the crime after police arrested me as the rapist of my own daughter. They told me that I would be jailed for several years. That was when I revealed the name of the priest,’’ he continued. “Robin paid the hospital bill of Rs 30,000 for the delivery and promised to do any penance for his sin. But he betrayed my daughter by trying to escape from India,” said the father, before denying allegations that the family had accepted money from the priest to hush up the rape.

Dr.Damodar Biswal
    Mar 17, 2017 at 6:09 am
    This is unfortunate.Why r they not getting married after the church got a go ahead from the pope?
      Antony
      Mar 17, 2017 at 5:53 am
      high time catholic church to reform itself and allow the priests and nuns to marry. otherwise incidents like this may happen again and again...and people will have no faith in church and all churches will be converted to strip club and bars like in Uk and western europe!! expecting a barrage of dirty comments from sanghis for this news!!
        Rk
        Mar 17, 2017 at 9:30 am
        why this news not highlighted HEADLINES? ... remember many instances where this junk paper highlighted petty small news belonging to majority community as HEADLINES for days.... this shows how this papers thought process is aligned against one particular religion...
        1. I
          Ivan
          Mar 17, 2017 at 8:31 am
          It has nothing to do with allowing priests to marry. The problem these days is that some priests have absolutely abused their powers. How can they get a man to confess that he raped his daughter? In the old days they had the decency to get a mistress. There should be a thoroughgoing review of the way priests move with young people. A code of conduct such as we have overseas in the US and other countries is a matter of urgency.
            manian
            Mar 17, 2017 at 2:11 pm
            One can be easily religious but very very difficult to be really spiritual.It is better people marry and settlt down in life.
            1. J
              Jacob Mathecken
              Mar 19, 2017 at 4:31 am
              "They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, "All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!"| -
                pravin s
                Mar 17, 2017 at 5:53 am
                kerala full of hyp ocr ites and silent latent cr imi nals
                  Santanu Roy
                  Mar 17, 2017 at 6:52 am
                  I had studied in St Xaviers College.An Australian father used to teach us English.Helt;br/gt;was an extra-ordinarily gifted teacher and gave me highest number in English thoughlt;br/gt;I failed in every science subject,for I had not studied at all.We all knew he regularlylt;br/gt;visits brothels.Catholic church can take lessons from this extra-ordinary Father