Karnataka has incurred an estimated loss of Rs 25,000 crore this year due to severe drought, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said on Sunday. “According to rules, we can seek relief of Rs 4,702 crore,” Siddaramaiah was quoted as saying in Mysuru by an official release. “Also due to floods in certain parts, the loss is to the tune of Rs 386 crore. We have sought relief from the central government. Other than that, the state government has also released money for drought relief,” he said.
Karnataka is reeling under successive years of drought, and the state government has already declared 139 talukas in 29 districts as drought-hit. Stating that several measures have been taken by the government to tackle the situation, Siddaramaiah said District Deputy Commissioners have been directed to take measures in providing drinking water, fodder for cattle and jobs for the needy.
Watch What Else is Making News
He said that to monitor the measures being undertaken, four cabinet sub-committees had been constituted, which have been directed to visit every district. The government had on December 6 formed four cabinet sub-committees to study and conduct review of relief works being undertaken in the drought-affected areas of the state. The committees, one each for revenue divisions of Bengaluru, Kalburgi, Belagavi and Mysuru, has four to five ministers as its members and Secretaries or Principal Secretaries of Agriculture, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj, Water Resources and Revenue Department as coordination officers.
Through a memorandum, the state had requested the Centre to provide Rs 4,702.54 crore for drought relief measures, following which a team of officials had visited the affected areas.
The state government had earlier said that it released Rs 60 lakh each to drought-affected Assembly constituencies for immediate relief measures.