Jaipur honour killing: ‘My father was progressive, never thought my parents could change’

Written by Mohammad Hamza Khan | Jaipur | Published:May 19, 2017 5:56 am
Neighbours outside Amit Nair’s residence in Jaipur(Express Photo)

Ever since their daughter Mamta Chaudhary married a Nair from Kerala in August 2015, Jeewanram Chaudhary and Bhagwani Devi had been threatening her. It was the couple who allegedly orchestrated their son-in-law Amit Nair’s murder at his home in Jaipur on Wednesday. Mamta’s parents entered their daughter’s residence along with an unknown accomplice who shot Amit. A second accomplice waited in their getaway car.

“Before my marriage my father was progressive. He ensured I received good education. I could never have imagined my parents could change so much,” Mamta told The Indian Express at their home in Jaipur’s Jagdamba Vihar.

Her father Jeewanram is a retired Army man and is employed as a driver with an insurance firm. Amit was a friend of her brother Mukesh. Mamta had known him since 2008. It was only in 2015 that her family came to know about their relationship and opposed it.

“My father told Amit he would give him anything to leave me. Amit replied that he would leave if I said so,” Mamta recalled.

Despite her family’s opposition, Mamta and Amit got married in Kerala on August 30, 2015. “Not once did his family refuse to accept me,” she said.

Her parent’s opposition got stronger, and Mamta never visited her home after her wedding. “In November 2015 she complained that her parents had threatened her. Both sides met lawyers and she decided not to pursue it further,” said Karni Vihar police station SHO Mahaveer Singh.

Neighbours outside Amit Nair’s residence in Jaipur(Express Photo)

“They took it from us in writing that we will not seek any share in property or anything,” said Mamta. “Mother used to say that I had spoiled their life, so my life should also be spoiled. Father kept an eye on my movements.”

About five months ago, Mamta became pregnant. “I thought this would change them. We went to Kerala on April 28 and returned on May 10, during which they kept calling me home. I thought they had had a change of heart,” Mamta said.

“Her parents were only trying to win her trust. We have observed in cases of dishonour killings,” said PUCL leader Kavita Srivastava, who visited the home on Thursday.

At 8 am Wednesday, Mamta’s parents arrived at their home with a man she had never seen before, while a fourth man sat in the car outside. “My parents again asked me to come home with them. Amit said he would agree if I did. Then the man shot Amit about four times,” said Mamta.

Neighbour Sona Devi came out after hearing what she thought were firecrackers. “The man tried to hide his gun. As I enquired, he aimed the gun at me. I asked my son Vikas to fetch a stick and my daughter to call police,” she said. However, before more neighbours could come out, the four fled.

Amit was taken to Shalby Hospital and then Global Heart Hospital. “They refused to admit him. Even in SMS Hospital they delayed taking him in,” Mamta said. The police complaint was lodged by Amit’s mother Rama Devi. Amit had studied civil engineering and started a construction business while Mamta is an LLB graduate and had interned with PUCL, said Srivastava. Murlidhar Nair, a family friend, said, “Amit had a good nature. He always helped everyone.”

An FIR was lodged under IPC Sections 452 (house trespass), 302 (murder) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) on Wednesday. Amit was cremated Thursday evening.

“It is a case of honour killing. We are yet to apprehend the accused. Three bullets were recovered from Amit’s body,” said DCP, Jaipur West, Ashok Kumar Gupta.

Shri Soni
    May 20, 2017 at 10:36 am
    Honour kil is a term that Im regularly listening on BBC radio particularly with reference to stan social evil where (usually a middle class) family thinks its honour is put at stake by its daughter daring to love a person of her choice which they do not approve, the well known example is that of Kadeel Baloch,a rebellious girl who dared to change the status quo of repression ...
    1. H
      HSP
      May 20, 2017 at 12:09 am
      Pathetic state of mind that the parents of the girl have. Innocent person killed in this. India is still in its rural form even in this modern age. RIP Amit.
      1. I
        Indian Girl
        May 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm
        May the soul of deceased rest in peace.. I can't believe that the media consider it as honour kil , Really? What kind of honour do these mentally retarted people find in kil an innocent man whose only crime was to love their daughter. If a girl marries to the man of her choice then it means she defames her family, we are such Hippocrates . Those people knew what they were doing , they knew that a case will be filed against them and they would be jailed for mudering their son in law but they didn't fear anything and showed inhumanity to all of us who are busy fighting over the nonsense topic of caste based marriages . These fights are endless but what we need to understand is that life is precious and everyone has the right to make the choices of their life.Hope this sick mentality will end soon.
        1. T
          TRP
          May 19, 2017 at 6:23 pm
          And still to some `modern' mallus these backward animals are the shining light of religios/cultural progress and nation alism. Throw away all your education and progressive thinking pearls in front of such pigs, thats the future. Such typical mallu inferiority complex!
            Praveen
            May 19, 2017 at 6:58 pm
            Did you even read the article, shows how dumb you are.
              D
              May 20, 2017 at 12:44 am
              What a dumb you are mate? Your mom should have swallowed you rather than conceiving you that night.
                Mallu
                May 20, 2017 at 8:00 am
                They should've put the other 2 bullets left in the magazine in you thus ending your wasted life.
              2. B
                Bharath Jotawar
                May 19, 2017 at 6:14 pm
                Why can't you news reporters resist from cal such kil s as "honour kil s"!!! There's no honour in such cold blooded murders. They are murderers of Humanity. And please stop creating barriers of caste by ur useless reports. I believe u, the reporters and news channels are spoi the minds of everyone than anybody else. We all Indian were the same decades earlier too. We had the same amount of castes earlier too. But it is only now that the news media has started encasing the idea of communalising and separating people. I see you people sel only and only news filled with hatred no just nothing else. Do you remember, just some 10yrs back, if it was a breaking news, then it would really some big leaders death or war or or some flight crash!!!!!!!!! But now even if a dog pees on road it's a big breaking news. Common guys, grow up. Try to live a happy life..
                  Abdul Bareque
                  May 19, 2017 at 3:24 pm
                  Police coming, buddha going jail. In jail chakki pishing, and pishing,and pishing....
                    Dr.Ahmed Mohiuddin
                    May 19, 2017 at 11:24 am
                    Respect life respect personal choices
                      DA
                      May 19, 2017 at 11:21 am
                      What shoddy reporting. It would have been honour kil had they killed the girl. They killed the guy, so this is premeditated murder on sectarian grounds.