Indian woman tells Pak court she was tortured by husband

The 20-year-old Indian woman, who has taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, has alleged that she was sexually assaulted, “tortured mentally”, and forced to marry him “at gunpoint”.

Written by Shubhajit Roy | New Delhi | Published:May 9, 2017 6:29 am
indian woman in pakistan, india, pakistan, indian woman tortured-pakistan, pakistan man-indian wife, indian high commission, islamabad, new delhi, pakistan court, indian express indian woman, pakistani man, Indian High Commission, pakistani citizen, woman married at gunpoint, india news,latest news

“That night, Tahir sexually assaulted and tortured me and threatened to kill me if I did not sign the Nikah Nama the next day. They show(ed) me a gun and threatened me… They took my signature on (the) Nikah Nama at gunpoint…”

IN HER sworn statement before a court in Islamabad on Monday, Uzma, the 20-year-old Indian woman who has taken refuge at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, has alleged that she was sexually assaulted, “tortured mentally”, and forced to marry Tahir Ali, a resident of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, “at gunpoint”.

Uzma met Tahir in Malaysia, where he was working as a taxi driver, about eight months ago. The two reportedly got married on May 3, in Buner in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, two days after Uzma reached Pakistan via the Wagah border.

In her statement, seen by The Indian Express, Uzma said that she stayed in Malaysia “for approximately two months”. When she returned to India, she got a visa from the Pakistan High Commission in Delhi after Tahir sent a “sponsor letter”.

After crossing the Wagah border, she said she was “picked up by Tahir in a car”. “He told me that he lives in a mountainous area and gave me medicine,” she said. After taking the medicine, she reportedly became unconscious.

On reaching his home, Tahir reportedly “sexually assaulted and tortured” her and “threatened to kill” her if she did not sign the Nikah Nama. “They made me marry forcefully,” she said. “Then they tortured me mentally, beating me, and made me do all the household work… Every evening, Tahir would sexually assault and physically torture me… I only came to know later… that Tahir already has a wife and four children… Now, all of them together harass me, beat me and torture me in every possible way, mentally, physically and emotionally,” she said in her statement.

Stating that she “came to the Indian High Commission, Islamabad, with Tahir to receive money which was sent by my brother from Delhi, as Tahir is a greedy person,” Uzma said, “I face danger if I return to Tahir’s village… If I go with Tahir to his village, only my dead body will come back.”

Hours after she gave her statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said the Indian High Commission in Islamabad was working with the Pakistan Foreign Ministry for her “safe return”, as desired by Uzma and her family. Her brother has met External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.

“The young Indian woman, who sought shelter in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad on May 5, 2017, today recorded her statement in the Court of Judicial Magistrate First Class in Islamabad, as per local legal requirement,” said MEA spokesperson Gopal Baglay.

“The Indian High Commission has provided her necessary consular and legal assistance. It is coordinating with Pakistan Foreign Office for her safe return and is also in touch with her family in India on the matter. Her brother met the External Affairs Minister and requested the government’s help to rescue his sister at the earliest,” he said.

Uzma also told the court that she took shelter at the Indian High Commission of her own accord and would stay there till she is sent back to India with security.

On Sunday, the Pakistan Foreign Ministry had said that “the Indian High Commission informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that… Uzma had approached them with the request to be repatriated to India.” The Pakistan Foreign Ministry said that according to the Indian High Commission, Uzma claimed to have married Tahir and alleged that she later came to know that he was already married and has four children.

The Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi said the immigration documents showed that Uzma obtained her visa under the “visitor category”. Pakistani authorities have said she did not share her plans to marry in Pakistan when she applied for the visa, and only expressed her intent to visit her relatives there.

Tahir, meanwhile, has accused the Indian High Commission in Islamabad of detaining Uzma and filed a case with the local police.

According to Dawn newspaper, after getting married, Uzma called up her brother in New Delhi. Her brother asked her to visit India, and told her she should meet a man named Adnan at the Indian High Commission, who would be able to sort out their visas for the trip, the report quoted Tahir as saying.

“At the Indian High Commission window, she asked about Adnan. A while later, a man came out and took her inside through Gate 6. I waited and waited, and then at 7 pm I asked at the embassy gate if my wife was inside. They told me no one was inside,” said Tahir.

According to Indian government sources, Judicial Magistrate Haider Ali Shah has ordered respondents Tahir, the cleric who solemnised the marriage, as well as other witnesses to submit a reply. Shah fixed the next hearing for July 11.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

S. Pandiaraj
    May 9, 2017 at 2:37 pm
    Every unmarried girl/spinster should know where the red-line is with reference to a man who is only just known to her and that too particularly of a man who is from another country. She should not have visited stan and met him. Now the floods have gone beyond her head. Now she has found out that the man is a cheat, unfaithful and already married. This is a crucial lesson for the lady and others. Now, we hope that the Indian High Commission will facilitate her return to her mother-country.
    1. I
      Indian Muslim
      May 9, 2017 at 2:22 pm
      This is happening every day in india with MULSIM woman by HINDU Terrorist , like RSS,VHP and LAND Sena . they left example for us in1992, 2002 ,2012 every day in Kasmir where MADDER E INDIAN military doing
      1. F
        Frank Donal
        May 9, 2017 at 12:47 pm
        Well this is a dispute between a husband and wife. People should not dragged it like Indian girl and stani husband. She was not kidnaped she travel on her own. There is already tightness between the two neighbours and media on both sides provoking it more and more. There are many many couples in the worlds married with different faiths and countries and we are same blood. we should promote the marriage system across the border for living in harmony
        1. G
          Guest
          May 9, 2017 at 3:25 pm
          This is not just a "dispute between husband and wife" but a criminal case. I am surprised that the local police in in Buner in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has not arrested this man. The indian diplomatic establishment has done the right thing. It is their duty to help and protect the Indian citizen. The Pak court must issue a warrant agaist this so called husband. I also suggest you read , think and then write
          rameshnk
          May 9, 2017 at 10:48 am
          This girl and her family are crazy. They are fully responsible for the mess they are in. So surprising this girl could not find find suitable boy in her community in India that she had go after a rascal from across the border??? what a pity!!!
            Mohammad Dar
            May 9, 2017 at 11:04 am
            They are stung by the snake of modernity, without knowing the meanings of it, leaving their family honer torn in pieces, to follow tier hindu filthy soul desire like a hungry dog, being an insult to the honorable valuable traditions in the dust of subcontinental.
          2. N
            Neon
            May 9, 2017 at 8:40 am
            A sheet act of stupidity and recklessness on part of the girl. Was she completely ignorant of what could happen to a girl who travels across the bloodied borders all alone to meet a barely known man! . While law should indeed take its own course, media and common man needn't strain itself for such acts of buffoonery.
              Kapil Dev Suri
              May 9, 2017 at 7:48 am
              kashmir terrorist muslim who pelt stone on armed forces should open their eyes and see how muslims are treated in stan asking help from india for their rescue . these terrorist forgot when in time of flood how MODI REACTED IMMEDIATELY sent military for their rescue and provided them food and shelter and given them billions of rupee for their rehabilitation turned turtle and are pelting stones and kil them their savior . now in future if same flood occur military should refuse to help them and let them drown. They are ungrateful and deserve death . ?
                Shekar
                May 9, 2017 at 10:03 am
                You .........it was not modi government then, but Congress government that helped stani...u r so ignorant and brain washed......
              2. T
                Tanbeer alam
                May 9, 2017 at 7:45 am
                I have not seen any Pak girl married a Indian men but Indian women married lot of stani.hamare yahan kahawat hai stani ladki leta hai deta nahi so I want to stop Indian women to marry Pak.
                  Rahul
                  May 9, 2017 at 11:52 am
                  Thousands of stani girls are married in India. Stop crying.
                  autonomous
                  May 9, 2017 at 7:19 am
                  She was forced at gun point to marry him after she came to knew he is already married & have 4 children.There is a conspiracy also that she was tricked to enter pak by the pak men 'tahir' .Choosing a mate is a persons own decision but they should not choose a 'p a k i s t a n i' for sure 'i n d i a n' culture is different from pak they follow arab culture & they don't consider women opinion nor respect her,a case similarly of an 'i n d i a n' girl desiring to get back to i n d i a circulated on media, gov should help all those i n d i a n nationals who got stagnant there without help.I n d i a n parents should ensure that the partner they choose for their children is not a 'p a k i s t a n i' for their children betterment.I N D I A N embassy should safely repatriate her back with her parents.
                    Mohammad Dar
                    May 9, 2017 at 11:08 am
                    She is laying like you, and her conversation on the phone is on the record, to prove her wrong, soon to be produced in the court, confirming to the prior family of the man and her divorce from her unknown first husband,