The alleged murder of a youth in Bokaro district, who had eloped and married a woman from his village, is threatening the prospects of the JMM candidate from Giridih constituency in the Lok Sabha polls.
Baidyanath Mahto, one of the nine accused in the murder of 27-year-old Santosh Pandey, is the brother of JMM MLA Jagarnath Mahto, the party’s candidate from Giridih. Baidyanath allegedly presided over the kangaroo court which decided that the youth be beaten to death.
Santosh succumbed to injuries at Damodar Valley Corporation Hospital in Chandrapura on Thursday morning. Two people have since been arrested on the basis of an FIR filed by the victim’s brother, Vikas Pandey. “Baidyanath Mahto is one of the people named in the FIR. We are investigating the case thoroughly before making more arrests,” deputy superintendent of police (headquarters) Vinod Kumar Sinha said.
Following the incident, an angry mob torched Jagarnath effigy. But the MLA said, “I am not named in the FIR. If my brother’s name is there, he should be arrested. No excuses for the guilty.”
The couple, who hail from the Alargo village within Chandrapura police station limits, had eloped about two weeks ago. Santosh, who worked in Chennai, took the 21-year-old with him and the two informed their parents once they were married.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The girl’s family reportedly lured the couple back to Bokaro on the pretext of hosting a reception for them. But before they could reach Alargo, the family and village elders allegedly took the couple to a “people’s court” on Thursday, which decided that Santosh be beaten to death.
Incidentally, there have been reports in the past of Jagarnath resorting to extra judicial measures, such as tying errant husbands to trees and caning youngsters who molest girls.